Chapter 36

parseltongue, mind talking, newspaper, direct references, notes.

Lucius Malfoy wasn't one to be confused often. He prided himself with being in the know before most, which enabled him to either change things or share the news himself. But it seemed ever since the summer, with the arrival of one Harry Potter-Black, he spent more time confused than in any other state. Every single thing that teen did was a paradox, he was vicious and cruel but he doted on his friends, he was selfish and conceited but he opened and funded a sanctuary for complete strangers and he took cunning and sly to a whole new level and yet his bravery was unparalleled.

It made his spin. He had lost count on how many times he was surprised by him, and the teen didn't seem to have any plans on stopping with his surprises any time soon. However it wasn't the mysterious teen's behaviour he was now confused over. No. It was his Lord's. Lucius has been following the Dark Lord since his seventh year at Hogwarts, he had proudly taken the mark like his father before him, and he had served his Lord with vigour; even when the man had lost his mind. He admitted to himself that he was relieved that his Master seemed to regain his sanity and their goals were back on track, and it was even better to see the man his father had raved about to be brought back. Lucius felt he was getting his friend back as well as his Lord and it was a very good feeling. It was because of that he was confused.

He had thought he had some inkling of the man's behaviour, but then there was Harry Potter throwing everything he knew out of the window. Never, not in his memory, nor his fathers, for he had asked his portrait, had his Lord slept with the same person twice. And never had the man allowed someone to share his bed for the night afterwards, but low and behold both had happened. Lucius had received the shock of his life when Harry had walked out of his Lord's bedroom in nothing but the man's shirt, he wouldn't deny that the teen was gorgeous, and he understood exactly why his Lord would desire him. He thought it was just a one off, something that had occurred in an accident and wouldn't happen again. But it did. He had seen the teen around his Lord all the time, he had seen his Lord carry the teen in his arms when he fell unconscious.

He had seen his Lord personally look after Harry when he had returned nearly dead from the wolf attack and just last week he had seen the pair kissing in his own drawing room. However, that wasn't the only thing he had noticed. Lucius wasn't a blind man, and a blind man could see that the pair were completely in tune with each other. They seemed to know what the other was thinking, or they could predict the others next move and they didn't even realise they were doing it. They were completely oblivious to their behaviour and Lucius shook his head. His Lord acted differently around the teen especially. Harry had an extraordinary amount of leeway, and Lucius had personally seen him insult the Dark Lord without so much as a stinging hex in retaliation. He didn't understand. Lucius looked up when there was a knock at his door and his beautiful wife walked in, he offered her a small smile which was returned.

"Our Lord is due soon." She said to him, "You have been quiet all day, what troubles you?"

"I have been thinking of our Lord." Lucius answered.

"Oh?"

"His behaviour has been abnormal as of late." He began, "It is confusing. I have seen and heard things that are completely out of character." Narcissa blinked.

"Such as?"

"Taking a lover? Allowing one to share his bed? Ignoring blatant insults?" Lucius listed, "And they all seem to revolve around Harry Potter-Black." Narcissa raised an eyebrow in scepticism.

"I am sure you are merely thinking too much on it, dear." She told him but Lucius shook his head.

"Just last week I saw the pair kissing in the drawing room." He said and when she rolled her eyes he frowned, "Watch him today and you shall see, he is different. Especially when Mr Potter-Black is brought up."