Chapter Eighteen

Still holding the book, I flip through the pages of Lucius Malfoy's history. Small battles won, relaying information, successful spy, found innocent of any crimes after the war.. the information goes on and on and all I can think about is how I am stuck living with this man- a criminal.

I take a deep breath, collecting myself. I carefully put the book back where I found it and turn off the light to Lucius' secret evil lair before leaving the small space. I conceal the handle to the trap door and put everything as I found it. I can't get caught...not now. Not when I've gotten this far and certainly not when I am living under their rule.

Carefully- quietly, I leave the library, turning toward the doorway and closing it as quiet as I can.

"And what might you be doing miss Draven?" I turn around quickly, my eyes wide in surprise. My heart is beating out of my chest as I repeat over in my head 'please don't be caught'.

I quickly compose myself, hiding my guiltiness with the impression that I was only startled. "Oh, you startled me Mr Malfoy. I'm sorry... I couldn't sleep, so I decided to come and look for something to read for a bit," I offer a perfectly explanatory reason for me being here by myself in the middle of the night.

His expression doesn't change and I can feel him trying to read my thoughts. I leave an opening into my mind, allowing him to see me sitting in the Malfoy library reading a first addition of 'Inside the Life of Merlin'. Once again, Lucius' expression doesn't change, making my stomach drop.

"Well then, maybe a cup of tea would help us both," he offers, raising an eyebrow and gesturing me to lead him to the kitchen. I comply, hoping that my willingness to stay with him alone will show him that I have nothing to hide... and nothing to fear.

There is already a kettle of boiling water ready and two teacups with teabags waiting for us on the counter. He pours the tea; I watch his every step to make sure nothing like veritaserum is slipped into my drink. After he pours mine, Lucius pours his own cup, setting the kettle back in the counter and sitting at a much smaller table than the one in the dining room. In fact, this kitchen almost looks... ordinary.

I take a drink of my tea only after Lucius sips his. It's chamomile, one of my favorites. "I suppose you've heard about the unfortunate rumor that has spread around like fiendfyre..." he wastes no time getting into uncomfortable and difficult conversation. I decide to play dumb.

"Which rumor?" I ask with a slight chuckle, smirking at him. He sends back a humorless laugh; a fake one. He wants to find out what I know, what I think of the one and only Voldemort being back.

"With all due respect miss Draven, I can see through the face you put up. You're worried, I can sense it," he insists, taking another drink of his tea. The corners of my mouth lift slightly.

"I am worried, but not for that particular reason. Draco and I have had some... disagreements lately and it's been quite stressful to discuss those in a mature manner with him, besides, it is quite impossible for Voldemort to come back after all of these years. Harry Potter made sure of that," I keep eye contact with Lucius and see his expression change slightly. He believes me, but he knows something.

Of course I believe Voldemort is back, but Lucius doesn't need to know that. I have no reason to trust him and trust that he is no longer a devoted follower. For all I know he could be housing Voldemort in the dungeons. Of course, that would be very unwise with me staying over the summer. I'm not in any danger. At least not now; not anytime soon.

"Ah yes, of course. As for Draco, he always comes around. There is no need to worry about his little tantrums. It's only teenage puppy love now... until the real tests to your love show," I can hear a hint of suggestion in his voice. A small hint of what is to come.