Chapter Nine

≿━━━━༺ ♱ ༻━━━━≾
𝕿𝐇𝐄 𝕯𝐄𝐕𝐈𝐋'𝐒 𝕸𝐈𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐒
≿━━━━༺ ♱ ༻━━━━≾

   Ji Eun and Yo Han stood side by side behind the judge panel, Yo Han making his announcement

   "Before we start, I have an announcement to make. Sadly, Judge Kim Ga On could not be with us for today's trial."

   Ga On nearly spat out his juice at the perfectly grave faces the two Head Judges wore, but even more startled by all the screens now displaying his face around the courtroom, exclaiming, "What the-?"

   "Please pray for Judge Kim so he can return to the courtroom in good health." Ji Eun's voice rang out clearly despite its softness.

   "Why is he going overboard?" Ga On muttered, eyes wide.

   "There might be people who don't want these trials to go on." The screens changed back to focus on them. "And some of them might be in positions of power."

   "The only thing that can protect us is you, the public." The courtroom burst into applause as the judges took their seats.

   "Now, let's begin today's trial." Ji Eun started off, her voice now hard and commanding. "The defendant has been accused of committing verbal and physical assault against a server, chef and a part-timer of a restaurant."

   She kept her cool, calm gaze on the defendant. "Defendant Lee Young Min, please come forward."

   The boy looked around, pretending to be confused. Yo Han tilted his head, raising his eyebrows ever so slightly. "Defendant Lee Young Min," he called.

   The boy pointed to himself mockingly, mouthing 'me?'. Whispers broke out in the courtroom as Judge Kang repeated Ji Eun's command, "Please, come forward."

   "Why?" Young Min asked, his mockery of the judges sending another round of whispers around the room.  The prosecutor straightened his glasses, sighing in irritation before raising his hand.

   "Your Honor."

   "Yes, Prosecutor?" Yo Han acknowledged him.

   "Before we begin the trial, I'd like to point something out." He moved to the center of the floor.

"Is that so? Please, go ahead," Ji Eun said inclining her head.

"As you already know, this is a simple assault case. If the victims don't want the defendant punished, the defendant can't be punished. If all the victims settle with the defendant, the prosecution is forced to withdraw all charges."

"But not all of the victims have settled, have they?" Ji Eun pointed out, the slightest of sneers on her lips, almost invisible.

"There's still one victim who hasn't settled yet." Yo Han agreed.