Chapter Ten

≿━━━━༺ ♱ ༻━━━━≾
𝕿𝐇𝐄 𝕯𝐄𝐕𝐈𝐋'𝐒 𝕸𝐈𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐒
≿━━━━༺ ♱ ༻━━━━≾

   "Have you never wondered, Kim Ga On, about how I fit into all this?"

   Ga On knew he should be scared. But for some reason, he got the feeling Ji Eun was not trying to be threatening in the least.

   "That priest said you've been friends with Kang Yo Han since elementary school, his only friend."

Ji Eun nodded. "True."

"But that doesn't explain why you live here with him."

She gave a short laugh, looking towards the housekeeper. "You want to tell him or should I?"

The housekeeper didn't respond.

"I'll take it it's the latter. I live here, because of two reasons. One, Isaac practically forced me to come live here after my grandfather died; Two, because I'm the only person who can keep Yo Han company without wanting to strangle him every five minutes."

   "So it's not because of your disappearance?"

   Ji Eun froze, eyes becoming hard. "I see, did the priest tell you this," her eyes shifted to Young Ok, "Or was it Ajumma?"

   "The priest. He said you went missing for two years and that Yo Han was the one who brought you back."

"Did he also tell you where I had been in those two years?" Ga On shook his head, looking both curious and confused at the same time.

   "Not even the rumours, huh?" Ji Eun mused, a bitter smile twisting her lips. "Well, there are many versions of it, you can take your pick. My favourites are the ones where I apparently joined a mafia and returned home to kill my father with the methods I'd learnt. Oh, and there's one rumour that I'd actually been taken in for custody for trying to assassinate a high ranking official and that I had been kept for questioning and punishment before I worked some kind of bargain and came out."

   She gave a short, venomous laugh. "As you can see, there's no limit to the villainy I'm capable of. And at eighteen too."

   Ga On found himself wondering if she perhaps suffered from some mental illness, since nothing else could explain how she had so many different personas. He was beginning to think that Ji Eun might be even more dangerous that Yo Han. Though Yo Han had a reputation for being a justice driven judge, he always had a severe and firm expression on his face. But Ji Eun... she could smile a smile so kind, so gentle, charm anyone into trusting her, and then put a knife through their back or chest, whichever way served best, with the same sweet smile on her face.

   Which begged the question, when Yo Han was so careful to hide things from him, careful about what Ga On would see in him, why did Ji Eun not do the same? She knew he was snooping around the house, yet she didn't tell on him to Yo Han, just as he suspected she wouldn't tell Yo Han of this incident. In fact, he realised, she didn't try to hide her emotions like she does at work, when she was in the house.