o n e

"You look stupid."

"Shut up."

Anubis glared at [Name] who simply shrugged and whistled away, bumping her hip on his shoulder. The red-headed demigod skipped towards her father's chamber where he was surrounded by numerous empty bottles of beverage, the heavy scent of incense filled the room.

"Father! Get up, you mustn't waste your long life like this!"

With great difficulty, [Name] managed to pull her father in a sitting position. Seth harshly glared at her but she paid no mind. In her opinion both Seth and Anubis have similar glares.

"It's so early in the morning, why are you so loud?!"

"Loud? But father, you're hosting a festival today!"

"...What?"

[Name] quickly offered a cup of water as she explained the events of the festival.

"First, father must give a short speech. Maybe about the theme of the festival?? Just don't tell them it's for the people 'abandoned' by the Ennead and we're fine."

"Skip that."

"What? Skip the opening speech?"

"Yes. Just go straight to the competition."

"Oh...why not?"

Even if it's against the proper etiquette of festivals, Seth has already went against the proper etiquette by being the ruler of Egypt. Something like this couldn't really be called a big deal now. [Name] quietly crossed off 'Opening Speech' in the list on her mind.

"Then, as usual, we're having slaves sold by the Caravan against volunteers from all across Egypt."

"Alright. Get out, I need to take a bath."

"Of course father."

[Name] smiled before she left the room. She too had to freshen herself so she took a turn and walked towards her chamber where she saw Anubis leaning at her door. Confused, she saw his eyes still a bit puffy.

"You still look stupid."

Anubis sighed, truly his younger sister might just be the most annoying person he's ever met. Her red hair and eyes weren't really something that prevented the two from growing closer. So they get along pretty well. (It's mostly because they have a shared opinion that Seth should lower his temper a bit more). [Name] opened the door and ushered him inside where they sat down on a chaise across each other.

"Why are you here?"

"I just want to distract myself from mother so I came here."

"Well, I need to re-apply cosmetics so maybe you can hang out with Salma."

A slave brought out an ibis and placed it near them. Anubis took one look at it and went back to [Name] who was surrounded by other slaves, applying paint on her eyelids, red ochre to color her cheeks, and henna to stain her lips red.

"Is this from Thoth?"

"Yes. After a game of sennet. Although I lost, he took pity and gave her to me."

"Oh."

A few minutes later, after the slaves finished applying cosmetics on [Name]'s face, they put on a wig made of dyed hair. (It was very difficult to find real vibrant red hair in Egypt). It was already decorated, showing off the wealth of Seth and her status as his daughter.

"So? How do I look?"

"Decent."

"That's pretty plain but I'm taking it as you saying I'm pretty."

The young woman dismissed her servants before she turned to Anubis and stared at his plain attire, an obvious proof of their father's so called 'negligence' towards him.

"You know you could use some shimmer since you look so drab."

"As if. You look like a clown with everything you're wearing."

[Name] dramatically gasped, looking quite offended although the two knew it was far from that. Anubis rolled his eyes as he opened the door to see himself out, before he took one last glance at his half-sister.

"Also, Salma is a male ibis."

"What!?"