s i x

It was the day of the first match. [Name] quietly watched from the sidelines, sitting away from the other gods while Anubis was left to recuperate in the guest room. From a vase did Maat choose the first trial and the young demigod felt both dread and anticipation as Maat read the contents of the scroll.

"Underwater breath-holding!"

While the gods erupted in disagreement, [Name] felt a heavy weight lifted from her chest. Seth was a god, he could hold his breath for as long as he wanted. It was an obvious lose for Horus on this round. Seth grinned as a magnificent chariot appeared, leading him to the river while he yanked Horus with the sand.

The river was now silent and the gods murmured amongst themselves, a few glancing at [Name] who remained seated with a smile on her face, obviously everyone knew who would win this trial. [Name] leaned into the chair, curious as to how Seth would beat Horus after all, no other rules were told apart from the god who holds their breath the longest wins.

A huge splash came from the river, alerting everyone apart from Ra who remained laid-back as she smirked. The gods went back to talking, worrying for the poor boy who's left to face the evil Seth on his own. [Name] suddenly felt another presence and from the corner of her eye, she saw Khnum behind Isis. The demigod tried not to be obvious as the roots of the flower slipped under the cracks on the ground, allowing [Name] to listen to their conversation.

"Without letting anyone know about it, join that river to the Nile. I'll take care of things myself."

'Father will take care of it.'

[Name] was confident in her father. She knew just how witty and smart he can be after centuries of living with him. And she was right. The ground rumbled and the gods were appalled when they saw huge waves of sand covering the entire river. [Name] stood up, backing away as she felt something hoisting her up so that the waters wouldn't reach her. She smiled.

'Father...'

--

"The winner of the first round has been decided. The winner of the first match...is...Seth, god of war and the desert!"

Maat announced. The gods were all visibly uncomfortable at the pitiful sight of Horus who was both drenched and unconscious. Seth laughed.

"Don't you see, Ennead?! No matter how much all of you combine your powers, it's still no use against me!"

--

"Anubis is gone...?"

[Name] stared at the neat empty bed where Anubis should be laying down on. It seemed like he sneaked out, probably to Nephthys, since the slaves were as shocked as her to find Anubis no longer there.

"How stubborn. No matter how hard he tries, Nephthys would never budge."