2 9

"They landed in the sand, so they didn't die."

Horus explains as both his uncle and cousin looked at him with stern eyes, obviously demanding an explanation for such a behavior. [Name] didn't bother listening to the rest of the conversation as she stood up and peered at the chaos outside.

"Oh dear Ra..."

Suddenly, a hooded mercenary fell near her feet with an arrow on his back. Tutting she carefully threaded over his body trying to make out anything from the smoke that enveloped the whole area.

A strong gust of wind followed and the three men inside soon showed up. Seth yelled at the foreigner who simply placed the blame on Horus with a wronged expression, trying to get pass his wings.

"...I will go take a look at them..." [Name] said.

Seth had barely managed to get a word out of his mouth before his daughter dissolved into beautiful red petals the color of their hair. He grumbled as he caught one of them in his hand. She had truly become much more reckless. Much more like him.

Seth didn't know whether to feel proud or worried.

--

A portion of them had died. [Name] murmured prayers as she slithered through the havoc in the form of roots. Familiar faces laid on the ground dead, some swinging their weapons against their comrades.

The former sense of unity turned to a desperate will for survival as both local and foreign mercenaries used the skills and tips she had suggested to kill the fellows they had trained with a few hours prior.

Gathering the few who had simply hidden from their bloodthirsty crony, she blessed them, pushing them away from the fight and into the vast desert as she guided them. May they find peace and settle on away from here. Away from the chaos.

"Are you trying to...mend your mistakes now...?"

She shuddered, dread forming in her stomach. The eerie chorus of the cursed souls lingered around her, dragging their nails across her pale skin. They scratched at her, mocking her benevolent act.

Why do this? Why pity them when she had not shown even a small ounce of care and sympathy for them when they were left to die. Distorted voices and blurred faces accompanied her as she returned to her true shape.

"I...am not...trying to mend...my mistakes!" She breathed out.

This wasn't some act of repentance. She wasn't going to lower herself to those pesky humans! She had only done so out of curiosity. Would they survive in the harsh sands of her father's red desert? Maybe, maybe not.

"Why...why can't you just apologize...?"

This time, Anubis' voice spoke out, although [Name] couldn't see him from the sea of faceless souls surrounding her. She scoffed. Why? All her life, she was told she was a being superior than them. Than those humans. Gods are superior than mortals. Isn't that basic knowledge?

"Why should I?! It wasn't my fault you died! All of you just go away! Leave me alone!"

They wept at her, snarled at her. They mourned for her and loathed her. [Name] couldn't understand. Why did she hate them? Why do they cry for her; weeping at the flower's feet for she was confused.

"What am I saying...? Why...?"

Tears filled her molten-ruby eyes and she bit her lip. Why was she suddenly crying? Her knees wobbled and she hid her face in her hands as she slid down to the ground. She knew too much and yet too little at the same time.

"Cry for what once was lost. And hear what once fell on deaf ears. Ease their sorrow and understand their pain. Only then will the peace you seek dawn upon you."

--

Horus was at a lost.

Simply put, he had his uncle writhing and struggling on the air as the winds carried him to the sky where he could see the caravan below while he ventured on the ground to inspect the damages inflicted by the turmoil caused by the foreigner.

He didn't expect to see his cousin shouting hysterically and then crying silently as her shoulders trembled. Each sob that escaped her lips brought flowers to wilt and sag. Each grain of sand to move and claim the warriors who fought and killed for themselves.

Suddenly, she fell over with blood flowing out of her mouth like a steady stream accompanied by her tears as she collapsed on her side. He rushed over, calling for her as she breathed heavily. What was happening? Why had it come to this?

"[Name]!" Seth's voice was loud, and it was filled with worry.

The former god of war ran to them, embracing his daughter who had already fallen unconscious. And yet the desert won't stop. It kept purging the mercenaries, dragging them to Duat. Screams of terror filled the silence of the night.

Seth seized Horus' throat.

"You! Tell me why this is happening! I was the one who was judged! I was the one given the punishment! So tell me why my daughter is the one atoning!"

Horus couldn't answer. He couldn't understand. How? Why?

--

It happened again. She fell asleep. But what greeted her was not the fateful night of lust and betrayal. Instead, a memory hidden in the deep crevasses of her mind. When she was just a child.

Walking along the sand-colored halls, [Name] entered her room and sat at the vanity. She watched her reflection on the mirror. Her mouth was frowned and rage filled her eyes. The child murmured/ranted about the slaves who had dared to mock her, to ruin her name amongst their fellow mortals.

"I am not evil! I am no monster! How dare they!"

While trying to reach for the comb, she knocked out a few cosmetic jars which led to a mess of pigments covering the table along with the accessories laid on there. She groaned, giving up as she stood up and threw herself on the soft mattress. She closed her eyes.

"Oh my~ What could have upset the little flower~?"

[Name] had never been more scared when she was met with a lion headdress when she opened her eyes. She knew who the deity was. And she was terrified of her. Jumping off the bed, she took several steps away from Sekhmet, who only cooed at the young girl.

"No need to be so alert, I don't bite..."

'Yes you do!'

--

note: Hi! I'm coming back with longer chapters since updates are going to be once a week from now on (because of school). Also, this chapter's a lot messy so sorry.

(School's starting in a few days and I am not ready yet...vacation's all in my mind right now. And it's still not even school.)