3 - TOO COOL FOR SCHOOL

"Here," Mike thrust clothes out towards both Null and Eleven. "These are clean. They should fit you fine," gesturing towards Null, "since you're about the same height as my sister but they might be a little big on you," he nodded at Eleven.

Eleven then started to take the oversized Bennys burgers shirt off in front of them.

"No! No! No!" The boys exclaimed, as Null guided Eleven towards the bathroom.

"Take your time, alright?" Null said softly. "I'll be here when you're done."

Eleven gave Null a tight smile, and Null turned back to the boys.

"Hey, why didn't you close the door for her?" Dustin asked.

Null groaned. "It's a long story."

"Well," Lucas said, expectantly.

"Okay you all seem fairly nerdy so let me say this in a way you'll understand." Null said, making the boys appear mildly offended, but she allowed them no time to defend themselves against the obvious. "You know how in movies where I don't know, some kid gets captured and held captive but then eventually escapes their captors and then some kind towns folk let said kid in and they the towns folk ask what they're running from or ask what happened to them?"

"Yeah?" Mike asked, as they were all following, but a little confused.

"Well then the previously captured kid usually says that they'd been kidnapped by bad people or whatever and that if they talked about it anymore it'd put this random Good Samaritan in danger as well as everyone they love." Null finished.

"What's that got to do with you?" Lucas asked.

Null groaned. "It means, me and eleven have escaped, but people are most likely looking for us as we speak. You guys are what? In middle school yet? Way too young for this type of stuff. I'm grateful for your hospitality, but we don't want to overstay our welcome."

"Seems fair," Lucas mused.

"No," Dustin scoffed. "Not fair. We can handle this type of stuff."

Null rolled her eyes. "This isn't a video game. This is real life, with real consequences. You don't know what you're dealing with. Every minute we spend with you is another minute we put you in harms way."

"Then leave," Lucas said, matter of factly.

"Lucas, stop," Mike urged. "Listen, just go to my mom. She'll know what to do. She can help you."

"No," Eleven said from behind them.

"No?" Mike asked incredulously.

"The people that are after us have been under the radar for years. Think about. We both were stolen from our families, along with everyone else there-" Null started.

"Everyone else?" Dustin questioned.

"And every complaint ever filed against them never actually stuck. Seriously, I've done my research in the 3 years I've been out. Dozens and dozens of lawsuits or filed police station complaints, and the place is still up and running." Null finished.

"Well if this place, whatever it is, has people who have already tried to speak out, wouldn't it be easy to just connect all the dots and make them pay for their crimes?" Mike asked.

"Did you listen to a word I just said?" Null was getting frustrated. "People have tried, and failed, and ended up with less than they started with. Seriously. People start out with getting their kids taken, but if they try to incite anything, they end up delusional, like institutionally insane delusional, and they lose all their credibility because people write them off as lunatics. This isn't a joke."