Rainy with a Chance of Extra Credit

BRANDY sat in Ms. Kelley's office, her leg bouncing up and down vigorously.

"Sorry for the mess," Ms. Kelley let out a huff as she stacked a few papers, making room in case she needed it. "What can I do for you, Brandy?"

"I was wondering if I could sign up for tutoring," Brandy beamed.

"Well," Ms. Kelley typed on her keyboard, squinting at the screen, "Why would you think you need tutoring, Ms. Leblanc?" The older woman questioned as she looked back at the girl sitting on the opposite side of her cedar desk. "You have exemplary grades, and you're excelling in your extracurricular activities,"

"I was actually wondering if I could be the tutor? I don't think some extra credit would hurt," She chuckled awkwardly.

"Oh, silly me," Ms. Kelley chuckled, "I think that would an excellent idea, of course, both parties need to consent to peer tutoring, but I'm sure we kind find a bright girl like yourself someone who's willing to work with you," The woman folded her hands together, placing them atop her desk.

"So who would I be tutoring?" the younger woman asked, blowing a stray wave out of her face.

"I'm not quite sure yet, it's so early into the semester it would be hard finding somebody who needs the help, but there are always others who have passing grades who would still like the extra help." The dark-haired woman smiled warmly. "I'll put your name down for peer tutoring, Brandy, don't worry."

Brandy nodded slowly at her, before she could reply Ms. Kelley had begun speaking once more. "You know if you're ever having any performance anxieties or anything of that nature my door is always open," She looked at the teen with furrowed brows, everything about her body language screamed nervously, even a school counselor could see that.

"Oh, I'm okay really," Brandy shook her head.

"Well, even if you had a particularly rough day, you can always talk to me, no matter how small it seems." Ms. Kelley stood up.

"Okay, thank you." the blonde-headed girl nodded as she opened the door, coming face to face with a chest decorated with patched and pins.

"Oh, sorry," Brandy let out an awkward chuckle. Her smile faded as she saw easily one of the most unliked people in the school.

Eddie looked down at the girl as she awkwardly shuffled past him, everyone did. Rolling his eyes he looked at the short woman in front of him. "Hello, Eddie." Ms. Kelley greeted him warmly as she gestured for him to sit.

Eddie eyed up the room, bits and bobbles sat on the desk along with a few files. Her windowsill was decorated with small plants, cactuses, succulents, a potted lily. All very normal for a young teacher. Eddie lowered himself into the uncomfortable chair, looking at Ms. Kelley expectedly.

"So..." He drug the word out as he looked anywhere but at the woman sitting across from him.

"Well Eddie, I would like to discuss your grades with you," She calmly replied.

"Isn't that like an end-of-semester thing?" He asked with a nervous chuckle, fidgeting in his seat he slouched down while putting a foot in the chair.

"Well that's why I'm speaking to you now," She explained. "At the rate your grades are going it seems you won't be passing the school year." The woman looked sympathetically at him. "Now we do offer extra help after school-"

"Doesn't work." the boy ran a hand through his bangs.

"I'm sorry?"

"Staying after class, I've tried it, it's just the same thing during school hours." Eddie bit his thumbnail.