For the Sake of Good Will

"REALLY?" Atta asked her daughter with a surprised expression.

"Yeah?" Brandy questioned what she said, confused by her mother's reaction. "Why not?"

"I just feel like you've been dodging me for a few weeks, not to mention any time I mention church you leave the room like I just dumped a bucket of radium on the floor." Her mother shrugged. Sipping at her wine glass.

"I'm not... Dodging you," Brandy let out an annoyed sigh.

"Yes, because that's why every time I get home from work you're already asleep or at least pretending to be, or if I have a day off you conveniently go over to Chrissy's or stay after school."

"I'm just only a really demanding sleep schedule." Brandy rubbed her arm in anxiety. "And I tutor, so that's why I'm home late."

"See," Atta said, placing her some glass on the coffee table. She stood walking over to Brandy. "I don't even know what's going on with you half the time anymore," She ran her hands down Brandy's shoulders.

"I'm sorry," Brandy closed her eyes, her words barely a whisper. "It's just been hard lately." It felt good to feel her mother's touch, it was calming. There was something about a mother's comfort that soothed her yet made her infinitely sadder as well. Like it was the cork that held back the dam.

"I know I'm partially to blame, but-" She placed her hands-on Brandy's freckled cheeks, tilting her face upwards. "I'm here when you're upset."

"I know," Brandy nodded.

"Just promise me you don't have a secret boyfriend I don't know about," Atta looked at her wide-eyed.

"No," Brandy let out a chuckle, closing her eyes as she leaned into her mom's touch. "No boyfriend."

"Girlfriend?" Atta raised a brow in humor.

"No girlfriend either," Brandy shook her head with a smile.

"Just making sure," Atta gently tapped her daughter's nose. "I'm glad you want to come to the food drive, maybe you'll even give the church a chance?"

"I don't see that happening," Brandy shook her head while her mother moved back over to the couch, the melodic tones of Elvis scratched over the record player. "I'm going because Nancy asked," She told her.

"She seems to need friends, poor girl." Atta shook her head. Brandy could tell she had a bit to drink, her tongue was loose and her thoughts were heard no matter how out of turn they were.

"How many glasses have you had, Mama?" Brandy inquired, turning her head.

"Three," Atta bobbed her head around, Brandy raised a brow. "Four." Her mother rolled her eyes.

"Mom," Brandy said in a knowing tone, giving her a look of disbelief.

"Fine, five." Atta huffed. "Don't look at me like that," She pointed a slender finger. "It's ten o'clock, not four PM."

"Let's get you to bed." Brandy moved over to her mother. Holding out her hands she pulled her mom off the couch, helping her down the hall. Atta held a hand against the wood paneling, trying to keep a balance.

"I'm not that drunk." The older woman rolled her eyes.

"Drunk enough that you'll lose count if you have another." Brandy said as she opened her mother's bedroom door. Clicking on the yellow-tinted light, her mother crawled into her bed. "Good night mom," Brandy laughed as her mother buried her face into the vast amount of pillows on her bed.

She flicked off the light, walking back to the living room. She picked up the wine glass, glancing down the hallway suspiciously before downing the rest of the glass. It was a sweet summer wine, almost citrusy. Brandy rinsed out the wine glass before placing it in the sink. Letting out a sigh she looks around the quiet home.