Let's Get Out of Here

COME Wednesday Brandy was ready for the day to be over, her brain was numb and Carver had continued to dig at her for the next two days. It was like he was pulling at her threads until she eventually became unraveled. Like he wanted her to snap at him. Chrissy continued to keep her tongue to herself during those interactions. It bugged Brandy to no end but she would never say anything to her best friend about her boyfriend who she was deeply enamored with.

Sometimes Brandy would go into her mind, thinking of all the things she would say to Jason if she let her thoughts loose. Then she was brought back to reality. Carver irritated her to no end but he was a natural-born leader, he would turn the school against her before she could even blink twice. So she stayed silent, she played nice and played along with his narrative as best she could without bad-mouthing anyone else.

Brandy glanced at the clock, tapping impatiently on her desk. She sighed, turning to Nancy. "You go to church with Micheal Mattews right?"

Nancy looked up from her paper with a confused expression, she shook her head, pushing her permed hair out her faced. "Um, yeah. Me and Mike used to call him M&M." Nancy told her, "Why?"

"My mom started going with him last Sunday," Brandy rolled her eyes. "Just gave no warning."

"What do you mean?" Nancy knitted her brows together. "Your mom's been going to church with him for a couple of weeks."

"You're shitting me?" Brandy asked.

"No," Nancy shook her head. "I thought it was weird, I mean she doesn't really do that type of thing that I can remember, she sighed up for the canned good drive actually."

"Normally she tells me that type of thing," Brandy scrunched her nose, looking down at her paper.

"Well if it makes you feel any better I don't know what's going on with Mike or Jonathan half of the time." Nancy gave her a sympathetic half-smile. "I mean Mike's-" She huffed. "Mike's a teenager and hides shit all the time. And Jonathan... I don't know." Nancy shook her head once more. "I just feel like he's not being very open."

"Well," Brandy cocked her head to the side. "Guess we've both been left in the dark."

"You can say that again," Nancy said with a click of her pen.

The bell rang, Nancy stood almost immediately. "I'll see you later, I told Mike I'd take him and his friend to some stupid thing," She said with a grimace.

Brandy stood not soon after Nancy walked out of the classroom. Collecting her things before walking up to the teacher's desk, she gingerly laid her schoolwork in a file basket. "I think you have a straggler waiting for you," Mrs. Cartwright pointed by the door, her bony and aged hands shaking slightly. "Certainly isn't waiting for my two cents on his schoolwork."

Brandy veered around, Eddie stood by the door frame, one knee bent with his foot resting on the wall. His brown eyes averted when Brandy turned to look at him. Instead, he found it seemed more interesting to focus on his nail beds and rings. Brandy walked over to him with a curious simper on her lips. "Are you waiting?" She asked with a roguish smile.

"Maybe," He kicked off the wall.

"I still have to stop by my locker," She told him. "Come on, I have a surprise." Brandy began walking down the hall.

"Good surprise or bad surprise?" Eddie followed her closely behind tucking his hands in his back pockets, craning his head down to speak to her.

"Now that would get rid of the illusion," Brandy teased.

Eddie shook his head, bringing a grin to his face.

For one brief moment he looked almost boyish before he turned his attention back to the floor.