Sweat Treats

BRANDY happily walked up to Eddie after class, practically bouncing on her toes. "You're awfully happy for just having taken a math test."

"It's my birthday," She grinned. "I'm allowed to be happy."

"Well then, Birthday girl," He craned his neck down. "Let's go to the diner, I'm hungry."

"You're always hungry," Brandy rolled her eyes, pushing up the sleeves of the jacket she wore.

"I'm a growing boy," Eddie stretched his hands over his head with a groan. Brandy tried to not stare at the happy trail that revealed itself momentarily, instead, she looked to her feet as they made their way to the parking lot.

"Sweet birthday baby!" A voice called, Brandy turned her head, watching Tate and Tracie making their way down the hall with big smiles plastered to their faces.

"We missed you at lunch," Tate cooed.

"Yeah, cause' I know you two, can't pass up a happy birthday song." Brandy rolled her eyes. Eddie walked away quietly, she could tell her friend made him uneasy, with reason. It was people like her friends that isolated him for the majority of high school and late middle school. People like her friends that made school unbearable for him.

"How'd you know?" Tracie smirked.

"Because you never pass up a moment to be dramatic." Brandy sighed with a laugh.

"Who?" Tate asked sarcastically. "Us?"

"Yes, Tatiana, you." Brandy squinted playfully.

"Well," Tracie shrugged. "Where too?" She asked. "Chrissy puked around lunch so she's out of commission, unfortunately."

"Damn, that school food always makes her queasy, I swear they're poisoning us." Brandy shook her head with a sigh. "And I can't,"

"Can't what?" Tate asked with a mildly agitated tone.

"Birthday activities." Brandy told them.

"Are you serious?" Tracie asked in disbelief. "Again?"

"It's every year, Brandy," Tate complained.

"And every year I'm busy," She shrugged. Brandy looked between the two, "Oh don't look at me like that, I have to tutor."

"Whatever," Tracie shook her head in disappointment.

"Have fun with your, oddball rockstar." Tate rolled her eyes, pulling at the leather jacket Brandy wore.

Brandy resisted the urge to scoff. "Yeah, see you." She faked a smile, hoping that they would drop the topic.

"We'll stop by later if you're home." Tracie told her, before entering her car.

"If you're not busy." Tate added, hopping in the passengers seat. Brandy pulled Eddie's jacket further around herself, like it would shield her from the hurt she felt as her friends left her.

Brandy stood dumbly as they drove off, leaving her to stand stagnant by herself in the slowly emptying parking lot. Brandy sighed, maybe she shouldn't have blown them off. She rarely helped Eddie with homework the entire time they were together on Wednesdays anyway. It was always an hour and a half of studying, homework corrections, and helping with projects. Sometimes she would make him read over the Greek myths his class was reading about, just so she knew he knew what the material was. She told herself it was because she liked the stories, but it was also because she liked the sound of his voice. It calmed her.

But now she thought she was being selfish, she'd been so focused on Eddie that she'd now pissed off her friends. She could've taken a day off tutoring, enjoyed her birthday with her girlfriends for a change. But it was too late for that now. They'd get over it eventually, but Brandy would have to work hard to get back in their favor.