Extra Curricular

THAT morning Brandy had picked out her most sophisticated yet casual outfit. She wanted to make a decent impression as a tutor, not too flashy but definitely not too stiff. She could tell Eddie wasn't one for structure, of any kind really. He was only a year or two older than her even if they were both seniors, surely they could find some common ground as Ms. Kelley had suggested. Other than music that is.

She was so nervous she had elected to not eat breakfast, which in hindsight was probably a bad idea. Dare she say a terrible one even. Her stomach turned and ached in anticipation and hunger. Her empty belly making her morning coffee only worsen her nervousness and upset stomach.

So there Brandy sat by Jameson in the cafeteria, waiting for him to finish his breakfast so she could pick his tray clean of scraps. "You seem less pissy today," The ginger observed with a mouthful of half-cold oatmeal.

"Yeah well, my tutoring is back on so," she hummed, reaching out a hand to grab the green apple on his tray.

Jameson smacked away her hand with his plastic ware, "First of all, get your own food." he told her, "Second of all, good luck, heard it was Eddie Munson."

"How could you possibly know that." She asked baffled and a little annoyed, rubbing the reddening knuckles on her hand.

"Overheard Jason talking about it to Lucas Sinclair." Jameson shrugged. "You know if he were a girl he'd be called a loud mouth," He pointed his spork at her.

"Did he tell anyone else?" Brandy asked, concern shining in her eyes.

"Relax," Jameson told her, "I doubt anyone's gonna think you're BFFs forever." he teased in a high-pitched voice. "I mean you're just tutoring him right?"

"Yeah," Brandy nodded, "Of course."

"And you're friends with one of the biggest gossips in school, if anyone thinks otherwise she'll probably let you know." The freckled boy told her.

"Hopefully," Brandy muttered. "Hey, I need to get to class, I have AP history, so you know," She rolled her eyes as she begrudgingly stood from the nearly empty table.

"Alright, don't forget the phone works both ways, Leblanc," Jameson said, tossing the apple at her.

"Tell me that when it's not your mom or Beverly answering the phone," Brandy laughed, taking a bite from the sour fruit.

"Bev just misses you, I mean when was the last time you saw her?" Jameson asked. "My birthday?"

"It takes her like twenty minutes until she actually gives the phone to you," The blonde laughed.

"She turns twelve and thinks she can answer the phone for anyone," The boy rolled his eyes.

"Tell her I miss her," Brandy smiled coyly.

"Yeah be prepared to be bombarded with phone calls then," the girl shook her head with a smile, walking out of the cafeteria. She took another bite of her granny smith apple.

"Oh, I look forward to it," Brandy said in a teasing tone.

"Uh-huh." Jameson rolled his green eyes, "I'll see you in class, smartass."

The halls weren't busy nor were they deserted and empty. A few students were at their lockers, a couple spilling into the bathrooms to chat before school. Brandy's eyes scanned the hallway, looking for her friends before class. Hoping to speak to someone other than Jameson.

It was odd to her. She could tell Jameson her deepest and darkest secrets and not be worried that he would tell a soul. Even if they weren't particularly close anymore. They both had different friend groups, and it was seldom that they would speak on the phone. Yet she trusted him the most out of all her friends. Sure she could trust Chrissy with her embarrassing stories, or how her home life was. But Brandy would never just spew things to her as she did to Jameson. Yet her and Chrissy seemed to be the closest.