26

Taylor's pov

"Well, here's the basement," Cory announced, leading the way down the stairs to the first floor, opening a door with another spooky set of stairs.

"Are we allowed down there?" Sam asked, poking his head down to try and see the basement that was unable to but seen until you hit the landing on the stairs.

"If you would like to go down there, then sure," Cory motioned for us to go down the stairs and to follow him.

I ended up going down behind Kat but in front of Amanda, not that I had a problem with it but I wanted to make sure Colby was okay.

He had this odd look to his face when Cory was talking to us in the bedroom upstairs that I just couldn't shake.

"Did you hear that?" Cory asked out of nowhere and to no one in particular.

"What?" Stas glanced over at him before looking at Colby, as if he would give her the answer.

"Something just whispered Sam in my ear," Cory adjusted the camo hat on his head, running his fingers through the hair underneath before placing the ballcap back on his head.

"So you're saying a male voice just said Sam?" Sam sounded like he really wasn't believing what his guide was telling him, 

"It whispered but it was so loud when it said it," Amanda explained, "Like, does that makes sense almost? Do you hear that?" She asked all of a sudden, pointing to the back corner of the basement behind the stairs.

After a couple seconds of the group being silent, we followed Amanda and Sam back to where she was hearing the noise.  Cory stayed still, waiting for everyone to go past before following up in the rear.

"I feel sick," Kat said once we stopped, and she had an uncomfortable smile on her face.

"Really?" "Actually?" Colby and Sam said at the same time.

"Yeah," She nodded, looking away to focus on Amanda.

I looked back and forth between Sam and Colby, trying to see if they were feeling funky too but just wouldn't say anything.

The only thing I achieved was catching Colby's eye, and since we were close enough he reached over and ran his hand down my back, "You doing okay?" He asked quietly, low enough to not attract attention from anyone else.

"I just have this feeling something's going to go wrong.  I don't know," I chewed on the side of my lip, a habit I knew would be awful to start but I was stressed with nothing else to distract myself with.

"I'll keep you safe," Colby said with a cheesy smile, one that I returned but it wasn't nearly as bright.

"This is where someone died back here, huh?" Amanda asked Cory, snapping both of our attention over to where the pretty blonde was talking.

"Uh, yes," Cory said reluctantly.

"Wow," Sam sighed, probably at the fact that Amanda knew that without being told.

"That's fucking crazy," Colby laughed out of disbelief, and I heard Stas say something similar but I didn't catch what she said.

I went to ask her, but once again, Amanda unintentionally interrupted me, "My camera won't focus at all," She held up her tiny camera, looking through the screen it had to try and fix the problem.

"Is it cause you got all this stuff here?" Cory pointed to all of the electrical boxes and wires, and she gave a minute shake of her head, "Let's head back upstairs maybe and see if it works up there,"

"Sure," Amanda smile at us, leading the way behind Cory back out of the basement.

I, personally, was eager to leave because I wanted to get into proper investigating though we'd do that when it was our time to.

"You're just gonna keep snake skin right here?" Sam asked, nodding up to one of the floor beams with two snake skins draped across it.

"It's rattlesnake season," Colby pointed out.

"Don't touch my back!" Kat shouted nervously as she was walking up the stairs, with Stas following her.

"I didn't touch your back!" Stas shouted back.

I fought the urge to roll my eyes and when I heard Sam and Colby's ridiculous reaction I did.

They were laughing like little kids, I couldn't resist.

"We have serpents, a lot of people associate that with the devil," Cory sighed when we entered the communication room once again.

"Do you ever use prayer to, like, help fight against the demons?" Colby asked, placing his hands on his hips as he became more intrigued on the conversation.

"No," Cory began, "I did help with an exorcism one time, what I noticed was physical changes in the person.  I didn't know this, but say like Sam and Colby are doing an ouija board session, and they don't close the session out properly and something comes through. If it is an inhumane spirit, demonic, what have you, it can jump between the two,"

Colby's eyes went wide as Cory continued, "So it could be on Colby and if he's getting help for it, it can just leave and go to him," He pointed at Sam.

The two boys highfived as Cory continued to talk, "I wasn't aware of that. So I walk into it not knowing that.  It was a boyfriend-girlfriend kinda thing.  He was a geek, she was a very attractive young lady and he made a deal with something. He said it could have his soul as long as she stays with me.  But I was sitting with the girl, and all of a sudden she started reacting to it.

Her feet started swelling up, she had scratches and bruises, her eyes were rolling back. Her mom was sitting there with me, and I'm like.... I didn't know what to expect,"

Colby's eyebrows furrowed as he spoke, "Is this considered the seance room?"

"No, the seance room is actually.  Sorry," Cory apologized as he led us all out of the room, "We walked right through it,"

I decided to be the next one out of the room after Cory, and he brought us to a library type of room.

"This is the seance room," He said to Sam and Colby when they came in.

"Have people reported a woman in a nightgown?" Amanda asked, a smile on her face though it was clear how nervous she was.

Cory tilted his head at her, unsure of whether to answer or not.

It scared me, because never have I thought I would have seen something close to fear flicker in his eyes.

[a/n: hey! i have a new book, it's called TEENAGE WASTE.  check it out, the first chapter was posted already!]