Chapter 17. Diana Ernell

The next morning they brought us a vile semblance of porridge and a piece of black bread. To say that it was disgusting means to say nothing. However, something had to be eaten, so I had to eat everything. Then we had a second check for superpowers, this time for those who were not in the last half. They took me there too, because for some reason they were sure that I should have something. However, like last time, no magic happened. Alice, who was injecting me again, turned paler than yesterday. And again the Lord came up to us:
- Alice, why does this girl have nothing again?! You, an insignificant piece of wool!
- I-I do not know, oh Great, the drug is working, injected correctly ....
- What's your name? – this time the Lord turned to me. I didn't say anything. I felt a lot of anger towards the whole gang, and I didn't want them to find out anything.
- Answer me! – The Lord was very angry. And again I am silent.
- M-Marie, her name is Marie Lingstone.
- That's the same thing. So, Marie, let's follow me.
I was about to stay where I was, but then Alice hissed in my ear:
- If you don't obey him, I'll kill you. Believe me, you have never seen such a painful death.
I didn't really want to die in agony, I had to go. After a couple of minutes of walking through the corridors, we went into the office. The Lord walked up to the mirror and turned his back to me. I tried to figure out what he was doing, but because of my position, it didn't really work out. And then, the Lord takes off his hood, and I see long thick dark hair reaching all the way to the waist.
- Well, are you surprised? – a slightly hoarse female voice sounds. Diana Ernell was standing right in front of me. That daughter of Eliza and Frederick, who was abducted by the "Black Five". Now she didn't look so beautiful anymore – her face was all wrinkled, and her hands looked like they were about to crumble into powder. Only the hair was surprising – with age, they seemed to have only thickened and acquired a brighter color.
- Diana?....
- Heh, I'm sure I shocked you. And I'm sure you're wondering what I'm doing here at all, also in the role of the Lord, and why I called you here. Well, I'll start from the beginning:
As you know, many years ago there was a royal family with the surname Ernell. Queen Eliza and King Frederick ruled the people, and their four children were also preparing for the future reign: the eldest daughter Diana – that's me - middle sons Eric and Simon, as well as baby Lesta. To control the people, the King and Queen decided to create a secret organization – the "Black Five". However, the wrong person got into the clan, there was a quarrel - and then a teenager Diana was stolen. I'm sure you know all this, too. However, do you know what exactly quarreled the royal family and the "Five"? In fact, it was only the queen's fault, and no one else. There was no "wrong person", these are just Eliza's excuses so that no one would suspect her. Mom wanted more and more power, more and more control, which is why she set up the clan for completely inappropriate actions. The "Black Five" realized that they could not go on like this, and terminated their contract with the royal family. And then Mom did something terrible: she hired people to exterminate the clan. Almost everyone was killed, only one person remained alive – my sister, Lisaveta. Yes, in fact, there were not four children, but five. After this incident, my mother ordered to remove any information about my older sister from everywhere, so as not to give away and not to disgrace herself. So, after Lisa found out that all the members of the "Five" were killed in cold blood, of course, she hated her parents, in particular her mother. And then my sister plotted revenge, stole me and began to recruit an army to overthrow the Ernell family from the throne. And so the "Dark Creators" arose. The rumors that I stayed in the clan voluntarily are absolutely true. As soon as Lisa told me the whole truth about my family, I immediately made a firm decision to remove the name Ernell from the face of the Earth.
- That's such a nice story. - Diana finished her story. - You probably have a million questions, I'm listening to you.
- What are you trying to achieve? Surely your parents have been dead for a long time!
- You're right, they died a couple of years ago, just like Lisa. Not everyone can live forever. However, now.... I want to get what my mother wanted so much – ABSOLUTE POWER!
- As you said yourself, it won't work to live forever! Someday you will step down from the throne!
Diana suddenly burst into a fit of laughter.
- It won't work?! Look at me! I've lived for a hundred years, I'll live for more! Well, look at my thick strands! Hair is the source of my strength. The more I kill people, the thicker my pride becomes! And, of course, the longer I live. Perhaps my body is not as beautiful as it used to be, but now it's all easy to replace with technology.
- Why do you need superpowers then?!
- Oh, I don't need powers. Only the owners are important to me. You see, people with superpowers have a reserve of so-called "vital energy" several times more than people without. So the owners of superpowers are my tidbit. And also my backup option, since they live longer.
So Diana wanted eternal power. And for this she needs people, especially with superpowers.... Like mother, like daughter. However, something was wrong here....
- And what about the rest of the family? Your brothers, sisters?
- Huh, they're all my loyal subjects now. No one dares to contradict the Lord, even if he is your sister.
- And Lesta?
Diana, who had been standing with her back to me, turned around abruptly.
- And why are you asking about her?!
- It's obvious that you especially loved her, since you were so excited.
Diana laughed:
- Yes, Lesta grew up to be quite a thing. Okay, I'll tell you what's wrong with her. And at the same time I'll tell you why I revealed all these secrets to you.
You see, Lesta.... She's always been special. Her magical abilities showed up at a very early age, but they were very dangerous. The poor girl was kept in a punishment cell for 7 years. A long time, isn't it? However, one day she was not found in the isolation ward. She was kidnapped. But not by the "Black Five", which, by the way, by that time was already gathering an army with might and main. And so, a few years later, when the "Dark Creators" began to act, Lesta reappeared. But she was against us. My sister fought fiercely for her family, but, unfortunately, with dignity, but lost.
- Actually, I still don't know who Lesta was stolen by. I know only one thing: my enemy is defeated. But not to the end...
At the last sentence, Diana Ernell looked at me with a predatory grin and began to slowly approach.
- You see, during the struggle with us, Lesta found a beautiful man, and – oh, gods! – they had a baby girl with the abilities of her mom. And then another one, but completely ordinary. They named the first girl Marie, and the second....
- Leah.....