† TRIAL TWO

NOTE: I'M GOING TO SAY THIS NOW, I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT THE MAZE RUNNER, I AM TRYING AND IF I MAKE ANY MISTAKES, PLEASE LET ME KNOW! I LOVE YOU ALL!

THE MAZE RUNNER STORYLINE AND CHARACTERS BELONGS TO JAMES DASHNER. KATRI, HER STORYLINE AND ANY OTHER CHARACTER BELONG TO ME<3 HAPPY READING!

 KATRI, HER STORYLINE AND ANY OTHER CHARACTER BELONG TO ME<3 HAPPY READING!

── ⋆⋅☾⋅⋆ ──

Later that night, all the boys threw their torches into the pit and began the bonfire. Katri sat there looking at the fire next to Minho, talking. Katri laughs a little bit as they continue to speak and eat their food.

Over across from them, Greenie sat back against the log ignoring everyone. "Hell of a first day, Greenie," Newt spoke to him while he looks up and then down nodding. Newt brings up a drink to him. "Here. Put some hair on your chest."

"I wouldn't do it," Katri whispers glancing over while Minho did the same as they both chuckle once more.

He took it, taking some into his mouth only to gag and spit it back out, starting to cough while Newt laughed loudly.

"Oh, my god!" Greenie coughed looking at the drink then over to Newt. "What is that?" He hands Newt the drink.

"I don't even know. It's Gally's recipe. It's a trade secret." At the mention of the boy, the two looked to him seeing him fighting a boy in a circle.

"Yeah, well, he's still an asshole."

"He saved your life today," Newt reminded him as they both turn back around. "Trust me. The Maze is a dangerous place." They both look at the Walls hearing strange noises from beyond them.

"We're trapped here, aren't we?"

"For the moment, but..." Newt nods slightly then both boys look back seeing Katri, Minho and Ben all talking. "You already know Katri, but you see those two guys by her? Those are the Runners. And the guy sitting by Katri on her left, that's Minho, he's the Keeper of the Runners. Every morning, when those doors open, they run into the Maze... mapping it, memorizing it, trying to find a way out. Katri usually joins later on 'cause she has mapped it more than any of us."

"And they haven't found anything?"

Newt smirked at him and chuckles. "It's a lot easier said than done. Listen." He held up his finger, the two staying quiet as they heard more sounds coming from the Maze. "Hear that? It's the Maze, changing. It changes every night."

"How is that even possible?"

"You can ask the people who put us in here, if you ever meet the bastards." explained Newt looking back.

"Dammit Gally, I told you I wasn't ready!" Newt heard Katri scream while everyone laughed at the young girl. "Augh!"

"Listen, the truth is..." "Gally that was a cheap shot, ya shuck-face!" "The Runners are the only ones who really know what's out there. They're the strongest and the fastest of us all and it's a good thing, too..." Newt sighs a little bit. "Because if they don't make it back before those doors close... then they are stuck out there for a night, and no one has ever survived a night in the Maze."

"What happens to them?"

"We call them, Grievers..." Newt told him. "Of course, no one has seen one and lived to talk about it." Newt looks back at Katri who was thrown out of the circle once more. "But they're out there."

"Alright, alright, I surrender, shit Gally." Katri growls a little bit being a bit of a sore loser who got up and dusted herself off. Greenie got up seeing her arms seeing shiny pink scars surrounding her arms and shoulders. "You didn't have to cheap shot like the shuck-face you are, dick."

Gally laughed loudly then looks at Greenie. "What do you say, Greenie?" Greenie looks at him confused for a moment. "Wanna see what you're made of?"

Katri rolls her eyes, crossing her arms. "Sure, pick on the new kid."

"Greenie! Greenie! Greenie!"

Greenie glanced at Katri for a moment, meeting her eyes before a determined look went onto his face and he walked into the circle. Katri couldn't stop her heart from slamming against her chest when he looked at her like that. Her face flushed red while she stared at him. Why did this boy make her feel all these feelings?

"Okay, alright." Gally nodded, making the cheering die down slightly. "The rules are simple, Greenie. I try and push you out of the circle... you try to last more than five seconds." Everyone laughed at that while Katri rolled her eyes lightly.

The boy nodded a little as Gally got into a stance.

"Ready?"

Gally didn't give him time to answer as he ran to the boy, pushing him into the others, who caught him and pushed him back in. Gally grabbed him by the shirt and pushed him harshly to the ground.

"Come on, Greenie." Gally instigated, shuffling backwards. "We're not done yet."

The boy got up, speaking. "Stop calling me, Greenie!"

"Stop calling you that?" repeated Gally while Katri watched quietly. "What do you wanna be called? Shank?" Everyone laughed while Katri frowns. "What do you think, boys? Does he look like a Shank?"

"Gally!" warned Katri loudly, shaking her head. Before Gally could respond, the boy ran at Gally only to be caught. They held each other's forearms for a couple seconds before the boy was thrown to the ground.

"You know what?" Gally started glaring at him. "I think I've settled on Shank."

Greenie ran at him going to push him again but Gally caught him and started pushing him back, almost out of the circle but Greenie moved to the side making Gally fall face forward making Katri chuckle a little bit. Greenie looks at her as she stares impressed on what he just accomplished. Before she could comment at him, Gally kicks him from under his feet, causing the boy to his head roughly making Katri gasp quietly while Greenie groans in pain.

Something in his face concerned Katri, but – then she heard him whisper. "Thomas" under his breath making her wide eyed. A pain then went through Katri's head.

"I need to tell you something, Katri... I love you..."

The boy got up from the ground in shock. "Thomas! Hey! Thomas! I remembered my name. I'm Thomas!"

"Thomas!" Alby shouted knocking Katri out of her thoughts as she quietly excuses herself and turns to walk to the Homestead.

Before she was further ahead, she stopped when she heard the familiar sound. She turns as everyone went silent.

"What the hell was that?"

"That, my friend, was a Griever." Gally informed looking at him. "Don't worry, you're safe here with us. Nothing gets through those walls."

Katri frowns, turning back, heading to her hammock. When she found hers, she lays down and curls up in a tight ball falling into a dreamless slumber like she normally does. She wanted some rest.

"You'll be safe here, Katri. I promise."

"Just – do what you can."

"W.I.C.K.E.D IS GOOD."

Katri gasps awake seeing the sun not even up. Pinching her lips tightly, she got up putting on her boots and her garter belt and walks up to the Walls. She began her stretching like she normally does before her run. Her heart pounded in her chest and there were butterflies in her stomach – not the good kind of butterflies though. Like something bad was going to happen.