Q/A #5: Originality

These Q/As were taken from the chapter titled "TIP #5: Being Original."

Q: I take inspiration from TV shows, but I change the storyline a bit. Is this ok?

A: Inspiration can come from lots of places (things we watch, people we know, conversations we have, etc.). There's nothing wrong with that, and it's good that you put your own spin on something that served as your muse.

Q: I feel like I have issues with this. It seems to me that everything I do is sort of indirectly stolen from somewhere else. My writing ends up being a jumbled patchwork of ideas haphazardly woven together. The only part of it [that] I ever feel I have real ownership of are the words, never the ideas.

A1: Well, if you want this—to come up with more original ideas—then practice thinking of things that you've never read or seen. They can be completely wild and outrageous. Pick one of those ideas to try to develop into a story. Start in phases by creating a plot around the idea and from there developing the characters and chapter outlines and so forth. Remember, try to come up with something that is new to you, something you believe you have never read or seen.

A2: Try the tip that I give about thinking of an idea that is completely out-of-the box, something you've never read or seen and focus on developing a story around that idea. It can even be a short story. The point is to get you thinking of new and different things. Now, keep in mind, that nothing is new under the sun. In other words, there are only about seven basic plots out there, but it's what we do with these plots that set our work apart from others. Originality can come in different forms. You can use a unique writing style or use rich setting to set a tone different from other works.

Q: What if you thought it was original, but you find someone who has written something that is almost like it?

A: That is bound to happen, especially when there are only a handful of plots in the world. The best effort you can make is to insure that you are writing the best story that you can, tossing in surprises and your own creative nuances that will set your story apart from others.