EXERCISE #4: Using Proper Grammar

Let's look at a few sentence examples demonstrating before/after grammar usage. 

BEFORE (INCORRECT)

[Example 1]

A blue jay set on a limb and sang it's song

[Example 2]

Your going to have to work harder to get your grades up.

[Example 3] 

Most people really know their late for a party when the party has already ended.

[Example 4] 

Ally said "Im going home in a while. Dont wait up."

[Example 5] 

Today, is the day that I start my new life. 

[Example 6]

Ten year old Thomas has a birthday in two days. He will celebrate it in New Orleans, Louisiana with his grand parents. 

[Example 7]

Sam call me in three hours.

_______________________________________________

AFTER (CORRECT)

[Example 1]

Let's look at the first example. This sentence has a few things wrong with it. First, the use of the word set is incorrect in this case. Set means to put something or someone in a particular place or position. Someone is performing an action on something, as in: She set her books on the table. It's not all that probable that someone placed the blue jay on the limb. It's more likely that it flew up there itself, so we would use sat here.  

The second thing problematic about this example is the use of it's. As we discussed in TIP #4, it's is a contraction for it is. Would it make sense to say: "... and sang it is song?" No, so we would use its

Result:

A blue jay sat on a limb and sang its song.

[Example 2]

In this second example, the problem comes at the beginning with the word your. Your (pronoun) is the possessive form of you. What is your possessing in this sentence? Nothing. What is really meant is you're, the contraction for you are. The second your is correctly used because it is modifying grades. The grades belong to whom?—you. Therefore, they are your grades.

Result:

You're going to have to work harder to get your grades up.

[Example 3] 

Similar to what was discussed in Example 2, the problem here is with the usage of their. Another case where the pronoun their would not be used, but the contraction they're (they are) would.

Result:

Most people really know they're late for a party when the party has already ended.

[Example 4] 

This example is showing a line of dialogue. First of all, dialogue tags (i.e., said, replied, responded, etc.) that precede what is being said should be proceeded by a comma. Next, we have the improper treatments of the two contractions. In this case, im and dont. These are missing that most important apostrophe that tells the readers that these are contractions.