Q/A #2: Story Development

This Q/A was taken from the chapter titled "TIP #2: Developing Your Story."

Q: Every time I read my story, I find it less and less [interesting] than the last time I read it. So, I keep changing the idea of the story, and now I don't even know what's it about. I find my story pretty much boring because it's all philosophy and no backbone. What should I do?

A: First of all, as a general practice, this is why I encourage writers, especially novice, to do a bit of groundwork before jumping head first into the actual story writing. By groundwork, I mean planning: developing the plot and characters, defining the conflicts and setting (backdrop), outlining each chapter, etc. This way you will have direction, and you are able to visualize the story as it would unfold. The planning phase would also give you the opportunity to make any necessary adjustments, say, for example, if you find one of your characters is not interesting enough or the setting just does not work or in your case, your story is philosophy-heavy. You could work out these issues before you start writing the story itself.

Now, in your case, you have to remember why you originally began this story. You likely started out with an initial idea for your story, a reason for wanting to write it. If you wanted to write something philosophical, you can still accomplish this while at the same time keep it fresh and interesting through rich characters, through a well-developed setting, through touches of humor, through good, old-fashioned creative writing.

I'd say start with that single idea and develop your story around it through some good planning then write, write, write!

Q: What if a second protagonist is supposed to be a mystery.

A: It's completely up to you how you wish to treat any character in the story. In doing so, you must be sure that the characters are woven into the fabric of the story in a way that does not confuse or disenchant your readers.

Q:  I understand the fact that there needs to be depth in my characters, but when is enough, enough? I tend to stuff my (especially main) characters with backstory, tragic events, good and bad qualities, and such. I don't know WHEN to stop adding more and more to their character development and it ruins the whole story. How much IS enough when it comes to creating a character?

A: When the content becomes distracting and/or really doesn't add anything to the story, then that's when I'd say you should draw the line. Backstory and character depth should lend itself to the story to help carry the story along or convey something meaningful to the reader, as in to support the plot or major development in the story.

Layering the character with all this stuff may not be the best solution if it comes across to the audience as filler information and bogs down the story. Try to give your readers just enough depth and backstory to keep them engaged and keep the story moving. 

If you can read your own work and find it riddled with too much filler information, then that's a good sign that you should cut back on some of that information.