Chapter 9

I took my bags out of the car and put them on the front porch, smiling all the way. I locked my car and walked to the side of the house. I climbed into the big old tree and used one of its limbs to climb onto the roof. I walked to the nook where we kept the key and stood still for a moment to admire the lake once again. After a few minutes I grabbed the key and climbed back down.

Since we bought the lake house when I was about 6, it has always been my job to hide and retrieve the house key. Now normal people just hide it under a rock or a potted plant but since I got to hide it, I got creative. The fun thing is, I've never told a single person in my family where I hide it so they can never go to the lake house without me.

I unlocked the front door and immediately flicked on the lights. I grabbed my bags and went all the way inside until I stopped in the small hallway between all the bedroom doors. Out of pure habit I wanted to walk into my usual room but I decided that this is MY weekend so I walked to the master bedroom. It has a beautiful view of the lake if you decided to open the curtains (which I didn't). I prefer the dark, it has always been so mysterious and peaceful.

I took my phone out of my backpack and walked to the kitchen to close the front door again. After I closed the door I sat on the kitchen island and called my mom.

"Hello?" I heard her voice on the other side of the line.

"Hey mumsy"

"Oh hey baby!" she said realizing who was calling her.

"Just wanted to let you know I'm safe"

"Thank you honey. Did you get Kat and Grey's messages?" my mom asked gently, she knows that I'm not the fondest of them right now.

"Yeah, I got 'em." I said with a sigh.

"They were really worried you know." she pushed a little. My mom loves drama but not between friends, especially not between her girls.

"Mom, not right now, okay? Please don't let them come to the lake house, I just need a break," I begged.

"You know they do what they want but I'll try my best, sweetie."

"Okay love you, talk later."

"Love you, stay safe."

I hung up the phone and took a deep breath as I thought about what I was gonna do. I got down from the island and went to the bedroom. I changed into my sneakers and grabbed my jacket just for incase as I headed out the door. Exploring the woods has always been a fun activity for me and I usually found something, like a pretty rock or a pinecone, to bring home. As I dove into the tree line I was filled with an exhilarating feeling of absolute freedom. I didn't have to worry about school, or people or what time I was getting home, I could just breathe.

Freedom is something I've always craved and it's something I love experiencing even if it's just for a moment. To me freedom is everything.

I walked through those quiet giants, staring at the beauty around me. Eventually I reached a small footpath and decided to follow it for a mile, maybe more. Suddenly I had a great idea, I dropped to the ground and layed down on my back just staring up through the trees. It was quiet, all you could hear was the soft breeze flowing through the trees. My mind was quiet too, I didn't have a single thought.

Just then my phone rang. I sat up straight in shock and then cussed as I tried to get my phone out of my pocket. When I finally had the phone in my hand, I saw that Greyson was the one disturbing my peace. I rolled my eyes and decided to answer the phone.

"Yes, Greyson?" I answered with clear irritation in my voice.

"No hello?" he asked in a joking tone.

"What do you need, I'm  busy," I replied dryly.

"What crawled up your ass?"

"Ramirez," I raised my voice in a warning.

"Fine," he said defeated. "I just wanted to ask if you would mind if I joined you for the weekend, since you're busy Monday?"

Hearing that and something about his voice, almost made my heart melt... almost.

"Sorry Greyson, I already made plans."

"Oh," is all he said.

"Great, like I said, I'm busy. Enjoy your weekend."

And just like that, I hung up the phone before he could say something else. A part of my heart wanted him to come this weekend but he and Kat had been treating me like an option for the last two weeks. And Alora Grace Dutch is no one's second choice. 

I stood up from the ground and grabbed my jacket. I decided to start heading back since I wanted to get home before dark.

Just as I turned to walk away I heard something to my left. I stopped to listen but it was quiet. Then I heard it again, it sounded like very faint whining. I turned to the direction of the sound and started walking into the trees. Now I know you're really not supposed to follow strange sounds into the woods but I was curious.

I got to a clearing in the trees and stopped to listen again. But before I could follow the sound again I heard a bush rustling behind me. I swung around with the speed of light and stood my ground against whatever was about to jump out of that bush. I expected the worst so I stood tall, waiting. Mentally, I was preparing for my death and honestly the only word that came to mind was: FINALLY.