Chapter 10

I could hear leaves cracking behind the bush and I was getting more anxious by the second. Then I heard the whining again and it was coming from behind the bush. I decided to ignore every voice in my head and started walking towards the bush. Before I took the last few steps, I whispered to myself, "Yeah, I guess we're dying today."

I stood right in front of it having a final debate on whether or not I should really look behind the bush. My curiosity obviously won and I started walking around it. I took the final step and held my breath as I peaked around. My heart started started beating faster as my eyes searched around. What I saw baffled me, I saw... Nothing? Wait what?

I walked closer and still didn't see anything but then I heard some leaves rustling again. I decided to look under the leaves and branches and then I saw it. Two puppies in a box, someone must have dumped them here. I experienced a lot of emotions in that moment, I was elated to see these cute little puppers but I was sad and angry that someone could have abandoned them.

They started whining again and serotonin flooded my brain. I took my phone out of my pocket as I crouched down next to the babies. I dialed a contact and held the phone to my ear, keeping an eye on the pups.

"Hey what's up?"

"Hey Kyles, I need a favor."

"Go ahead."

"When you swing by tomorrow, will you bring me a bag of puppy food? I have the cash on me."

"Yeah sure. See you tomorrow, Als"

The great thing about Kyle is that he never asks questions he does what is asked and wonders about reasons later. I put the phone in my back pocket and reached my hand out to the puppies. They licked and nibbled my fingers and I couldn't help but giggle. I picked them up out of the box and sat them in my lap and I started petting them.

I saw that they were both boys and then I almost screamed with joy as I realized they looked like purebred Weimaraners, aka my favourite dog breed in the entire world. I put them back in the box and picked it up. I carried them all the way home and I told them all about my happy memories at the lake house and how excited I was to show them to Aura-Leigh (Lara).

When I finally got back to the lake house, the sun had just dipped into the horizon. I gave the puppies some little pieces of ham, since I didn't have puppy food yet and they were probably starving. After they ate, I took them to the master bedroom. I gave them a blanket I had dug out of the hallway closet and laid some newspaper on the floor. Then I grabbed them a little bowl of water and put that with them too.

I sat with them for a while, just fussing over them until they were both fast asleep. This weekend was turning out way better than I could have ever hoped for. I walked to the kitchen and made myself a ham and cheese toastie. When I finished eating I washed my plate and went to the master bedroom's porch to admire the calm water.

The moonlight made everything look ethereal. I decided that it was definitely warm enough for a late night swim so I put on my new black bikini and grabbed a hoodie and a towel. I walked down to the pier and put all my things down. Then I decided to take a picture of the water so I can show my mom when I got home.

I dove into the water, which was actually quite warm. We always suspected that there was a natural hot spring somewhere, since this water was never really too cold. I swam around a little then just floated for a while. I swam back to the pier and just hovered in the water as I stared off into the woods. "You know it really isn't safe for a girl to swim alone at this time of night." a male voice suddenly said behind me.

I turned around and saw him just a few metres away from me. "Don't worry, I'm neither a murderer nor a pervert, you're safe." I laughed a little and swam towards him. I stopped about a metre away from him. "So, where'd you appear from mystery man?" I asked. "Just the house across the lake, crazy girl." He said and I looked behind him at the house across the lake. I noticed the lights were on earlier.

"Well nice to meet you neighbour, I'm Alora." "It's a pleasure meeting you, I'm Oliver," he smiled. "Can I offer you some coffee or something?" I asked. "That would be great actually," he replied. I got out of the water and dried myself off, then I handed him the towel to do the same. I pulled my hoodie over my bikini, grabbed my phone and started walking inside.

When I shut the door behind him, he shook his head at me. "You know girls shouldn't just let random guys into their house, especially if they're home alone," he told me. "Are you gonna keep telling me what girls should and shouldn't do, or do you want something to drink?" I clapped back.