𝟖

Pratyusha Banerjee, my face claim for Jodha (see attached media), was an actress who starred in a popular Bollywood series called Balika Vadhu (meaning 'Child Bride'). Her character's role in the series consisted of self-improvement after suffering child marriage and her character, Anandi, became a teacher as a result.

Why am I telling you this? I don't know. I suppose this fanfic, Jodha's role as a teacher, is my way of honouring Pratyusha and also, to an extent, Anandi.

Plus, I think Carlisle and Jodha make a fine pair. She's perfect for him.

Hopefully, you'll understand why in this chapter.

Thank you for reading!

• • •

𝟖

• • •

[26th June, 2006]

• • •

"YOU'RE MEETING HER TODAY," Esme chirped, brimming with smiles when Carlisle made his appearance in the living room.

"I am," he confirmed, unable to keep the toothy grin off his face.

He'd been smiling often lately, thanks to a certain young teacher, and he knew the rest of his family members noticed - even if they were polite enough not to poke fun at him for it. He was especially grateful for their mercy in keeping mum about Friday night.

At some point during the night, he considered tossing the article of clothing away. Not because it offended him but, even hidden away in his closet, the imprint of her scent still lingered in his room. In his mind.

Driving him to the point of madness with her heady musk, he swore he tasted her.

Walking into his closet this morning had been nothing short of a beautiful nightmare. Venom trickled, his taste buds in a frenzy. Before he knew it, he had plunged into his perversion - fisting the material as he buried his nose into the fabric of his coat, eager for another smell of her, wishing he had agency to act on the erotic visages she imbued.

Surely, it felt as if the bonds of his self-control were shattering - one by one.

Esme yanked him out of his reverie. "We can't wait to meet her, Carlisle. Don't keep her to yourself for too long."

He chuckled, fingers tapping a random rhythm along the outline of his briefcase. "As human social convention would have it, meeting my family is far too early a step and I think Jodha would agree."

"True." Esme twisted her lips in a frown, then brightened a bit. "I forgot to ask if she liked the flowers. Emmett made me worry that I was being derogatory by giving her brown flowers and being overly cultural with the pot because..." She winced, fiddling with some unfolded tea-cloths. "Well, you know."

"She loved it, Esme. I don't think she'll find offense in someone acknowledging her culture. You did well." He shook his head at the memory. "Though she felt guilty that you had to part from your special plants."

Esme's quiet laughs ended on a coo. "She sounds sweet and kind, brother. I have never been so impatient to meet someone in my life."

"Soon. I promise you all. Let her get more comfortable with me first." A muted pang thumped his chest, that longing to finally be coupled with her rising again. "She needs more time." A reminder to himself. Good things came to those who had the patience to bear the preliminary trials and he was anything but impatient.