your star

💬 classmate! yu jimin x gn! reader. 1850. she reminded you of a star

As the last goodbyes ring out in the school's waiting area, a myriad of people, some girls, some boys, all of whom you are familiar with, leave the school premises through its gates. You watch them as they are escorted out, by their parents, their drivers, or they walk home. The memories of today will remain fresh in their mind, until it is time to go back tomorrow, to repeat the process. Your attention maintains on them, before you lay your head back on the ground, looking up into the sky.

You are part of a drama club. Your role in the upcoming production is significant, and you often find yourself staying late nights, fixing files and quality checking processes to make sure the next day is as smooth as the previous one. This season has been busy, impossibly so, but relief comes in the form of nine girls, invited from a separate school to take part in your production. They have been instrumental in realizing the vision of the production.

Your heart thrums in your chest as one of them in particular comes to mind. Her form is clear in your mind, and you feel your skin get clammy at the mere thought of her presence.

The night air cools the skin, and the stars in the sky are impossibly bright, despite the light pollution of the city nearby. Like distant dreams and wishes, they blink, in and out of reality, calling forth some profound desire to keep those that are real and alive close to the heart.

The rough texture of the track oval beneath your head and your body are nothing, if you get to see the stars like this. The moon hangs precariously in the sky, its light a dull glow compared to the stars above. The moon is always there, its permanence warm and comforting to those that seek the stability of its light.

But the stars have your attention tonight.

You scratch at your throat, the intense usage of your voice coming back to haunt you as you're reminded once again of why you are here. Rehearsals had ended about an hour ago, and almost everyone had left already. What few had remained stayed in the safety of the waiting area.

It's 10:32 pm. And there is no word from your parents yet. They work late nights, later than you, but at least it is convenient for your production work.

A breathy sigh escapes you, glancing down at your phone, its light a painful flash back to reality. No response yet. You don't mind. Locking the phone, you tuck it away in your pocket, eager to block out any semblance of the real world that lies beyond what you have now. The world that lies beyond the stars.

You glance back up at the sky, and you let a dreamy exhale of breath out. Like the sea breeze that cools the beach, your breath lulls you back into the fantasy of the stars, reality becoming a distant memory.

One star catches your attention. It is constant and continuous, its place in the sky fixed like a lightbulb. A dream that has willed itself to stay focused, an attempt at actualization. Feebly, you reach your hand to grasp at it. A fantasy, you cling so desperately to, a permanent escape from the dreadful touch of truth.

And a shadow looms over you. The star is blocked, gone, hidden. Behind the eyes of a girl.

You inhale sharply, and gaze into the eyes of your star.

Hand in hand, the two of you walk past the theatre, past the courtyard, and into the main open air pathway that leads to the canteen. There are no people here, and you're glad there aren't. People would break the illusion of your self made reality, one that you and your star have worked hard to create since rehearsals ended and she found you on the floor of the oval.

Karina's eyes twinkle with the shine of a bright star, one that glows brighter and brighter every day. She has always been a highlight of your day, to see her dancing in front of the mirror. And you watch her, your star, as she fills your days and nights with a radiance that entrances you.