favoritism

💬 gf! yu jimin x m! reader. 1018. your father definitely liked karina more than he liked you

"We were thinking about setting up the camera here and filming that way," said the producer to Y/N. "You could have a little more privacy this way, but we would need to set up microphones on your parents."

Y/N pursed his lips. "My mom doesn't have a problem," he said. "But my dad might take some convincing."

"Could you convince him?" the producer asked. "We don't mean to pry into your private life, Y/N, but we are short on footage for this episode."

"I understand," Y/N said, stuffing his hands into his pockets. He looked over at the growing crowd of people on the other side of the street. His manager and some other We Got Married staff and a couple of policemen were trying to get the crowd to disperse. There must be at least a hundred people gathered. Young and old, wielding smartphone cameras and fan placards, everyone craning their necks, trying to get a look at him.

Or more likely, trying to get a glimpse of Karina. In the past, when he made trips home, he never attracted a crowd this large. Figures—even in Jinhae, aespa's popularity outmatched his own group's. The thought made him laugh.

People started staring and whispering almost as soon as they were off the train. They had to cancel brunch plans because word had gotten out that a aespa member was coming to the restaurant, and the fire chief told them they couldn't film there anymore. They had to get support from the sheriff's office to keep people from following them to Y/N family home, too.

Now they were here, in the middle of downtown Jinhae, where his parents had been hoping to show Karina the last of the cherry blossoms. He looked over at where his mother was standing, speaking animatedly with his virtual wife.

As for Karina, she was enjoying herself. She'd never been to Jinhae before, and he was both nervous and excited to share his hometown with her. Everything was shiny and exhilarating to her, and she was a hit with his mother and sisters, who loved aespa. When his parents suggested a trip downtown, Karina happily ambled into their family van and took a seat between him and his mother.

The good news was that his mother had been very gracious in agreeing to do the episode. She wouldn't mind putting on a mic during what was supposed to be a personal visit to see the blossoms. It was easy to see that his mother was excited that Y/N had brought a girl home, even if it was just for a reality show. But his father was trickier.

He was a lot like Y/N, in a way. The strong, silent type. Y/N couldn't remember a time when his father said 'I love you' to his son or showed him any kind of affection. Not with hugs and kisses, but with his steadiness and stability did Mr. Park show his children that he cared for them. But this quietness made it hard for Y/N to gauge his reaction to Karina. The man hadn't said so much a single word to her since she arrived, and Y/N was worried that he didn't like her.

Y/N walked toward Karina, getting ready to explain the situation to her. She turned to face him just as Y/N was getting closer.

"So, what's happening?" she asked. "Are we filming here, too? I don't mind."

"I think we don't have a choice," Y/N said. "Since brunch plans got canceled, they're short on footage. What is that?"

He noticed that Karina was holding a bun shaped like a fish, stuffed with green ice cream and topped with whipped cream and matcha powder. It must be at least 8,000 calories. It looked delectable.

"Oh, this?" she said, smiling mischievously. "Looks good, right? Your dad bought it for me."

He furrowed his brows. "My dad bought you that?"

"Yeah," she said, licking off some of the whipped cream. "Over at that vendor there, 7000 won. I off-handedly mentioned that I was hungry since we skipped brunch, and then he bought it for me."

Y/N still couldn't get over the fact that his father bought it for her. His father who scolded him for using part of his last TXT paycheck to replace the stove in his parents' house even though the old one worked "just fine."

Just as these thoughts were passing through his mind, Mr. Park himself materialized at their side. Strong silent type, indeed.

"Abeo-nim, it's really good!" Karina said, smiling as she enjoyed her dessert. His father only nodded in reply, and Y/N trained his eyes on the man.

"Appa, did you buy that for her?" Y/N pointed at the fish dessert.

"She was hungry," his father said simply. "Brunch plans were canceled."

"Yeah, I didn't eat either. I'm hungry, too," Y/N said, amused and wanting to see if his father's good mood extended to him. But his old man was unfazed.

"There are some food vendors over there," he said. "Didn't you bring your wallet?"

Y/N scoffed. His father turned and walked off in search of Y/N's mother, leaving the young couple alone. Karina took a small plastic spoon and scooped some ice cream into her mouth. Y/N still blinked at his father's retreating form. Karina giggled.

"What was that about?" she asked. "So cryptic."

"Unbelievable," Y/N said, shaking his head. "He wouldn't even spend 7000 won to buy me a remote-controlled helicopter on my seventh birthday."

"Sounds like an experience that scarred you for life," Karina teased. "Don't worry, I'll buy you a remote-controlled helicopter."

He chuckled. "Why did he buy you ice cream but not me?"

Karina stopped eating for a minute and clicked her tongue. She furrowed her brows and gave him a sympathetic look.

"Well, Y/N," she said gently. "I guess he just likes me better than you."

credit to Airdoodles on AO3