4

"How's engaged life treating you?" My best friend Matteo asked, with a slight smirk on his face, leaning over so no one would hear

I lean back in my chair, He ran his fingers through his platinum blonde hair and icy blue eyes and a style that made him look like a 90s fuck boy.

I blink, rage boiling in my blood about the mere mention of Elena. "So good that if you ask me again, I'll punch you in the throat" I whispered back.

Matteo's eyes widened a bit and he chuckled, My brother Ace leaned over. "Can we stay on topic you fucking dumb fucks."

The glasses tapped against the table when the severs placed our drinks in front of us in the dimly lit room as I leaned against the mahogany table, watching the smoke swirl lazily from my brother Ace's cigarette.

"What's the update on the shipment, Tony?" I asked, my voice firm, eyes fixed on our closest ally, Anthony, who ran the gambling operations for our syndicate.

Tony shifted in his seat, his gaze meeting mine, "There's a snag, Boss. The route was compromised. The cops sniffed it out before it reached the drop-off."

My jaw tensed. "Damn it. Did they get the merchandise?"

Ace exhaled a cloud of smoke, his expression grim. "Word on the street is they only got a portion of it, but it's enough to cause a dent in our profits."

I ran a hand through my hair, my mind already spinning with damage control plans. "Any leads on who might've tipped them off?"

Tony shook his head. "We're looking into it. But it's a tangled web out there, Don. Could be someone from the inside."

I clenched my fists, my frustration mounting. "We can't afford these slip-ups. The supply needs to be steady; it's what keeps our reputation intact."

Ace stubbed out his cigarette. "Maybe it's time we reconsider our routes. Shift things around, keep them guessing."

I nodded, mulling over his suggestion. "Agreed. And tighten the circle. We can't have loose lips sinking our entire operation."

Tony leaned forward, his voice lowered, "What about retaliation? We can't let this slide without sending a message."

I met his gaze, a steely resolve settling within me. "No mercy for traitors. Find out who's responsible, and they'll face the consequences."

The room fell into a heavy silence as we each absorbed the weight of our responsibilities, the consequences of each decision resting heavily on our shoulders. In the world of the mafia, every move, every word carried the potential for life or death.

The air in the room grew dense as more members filtered in, taking their seats around the expansive table, their expressions a mix of tension and anticipation.

"What's the damn hold-up, Vincent?" Vito, our enforcer, barked as he entered, his eyes probing for answers.

I straightened, acknowledging his presence. "We had a hitch with the shipment. Cops got wind of it before it reached its destination."