8

"So when is the wedding?"

A question that infuriated me, and everyone around me was aware of that but still continued to ask.
But I couldn't get angry because the person who asked me was my sister.

"I don't know, lil." I shrug, sighing, trying to keep my calm. "Dad hasn't set a date."

I hear the doors to dads office open, "I'll tell you a date. Whenever the hell that bitch dies and we can kill her father and take rome." My fathers voice said awfully loud, his Sicilian accent popping out.

I glare at him, he always has these bright ideas but never sees them through and they never work out. He is the actual definition of stupid. "That's not gonna happen." I tell him.

"And why is that." He asked, pulling out a cigarette and lighting it.

I rub my temples. "Because I fucking said so. She's my wife-"

"She's not your wife yet." He cut me off.

"She will be my wife. And I will be capo." I tell him, he holds my glare, challenging me.

"Holy shit. I didn't know that." My head snaps in the direction of Elena's soft voice, I see my mother next to her, smiling.

Elena's eyes met mine, she's been acting different lately. I don't like it. Sure she's never been open or even talked to me but she rarely speaks at meetings too.

"I'm gonna get a drink." Dad walks out without saying another word. I think it's safe to say he doesn't like Elena. Even though he's the one who decided I should marry her.

Why couldn't he give her to ace?

No. Fuck that.

Ace isn't having her.

On the drive home elena was silent, not saying a single word, a normal thing for her now but I sort of miss her infuriating arguing and her random outbursts of hatred towards me.

My driver was driving up the hill, Elena glanced outside, staring into the ocean.

I've had enough. "Stop the car." I told my driver making Elena look at me, confusion on her face. My driver slowly stops and pulls to the side of the road.

I unbuckled my seatbelt, turning over to Elena. The all black Range Rover that my security guards follow in stop behind us. "Leave me and my fiancée."

"What are you doing" Elena asked, her tone confused my driver got out of the car shutting the door leaving both of us here.

I grab her arm. "What is your problem? Huh?" I ask digging my fingers into her arm.

"What are you talking about" she asked shoving my arm off of her.

I take her seatbelt off and grab her wrists, pulling her to me in once swift move. "You've barely been talking, acting all miserable, you haven't sworn or glared at me in almost two weeks Elena. What the fuck is going on with you."

She stared at me, her eyes glinting with sadness but she quickly hides it, trying to escape my grip but I hold it tight. "Nothings wrong Vincent just let me go." Her face flushed with frustration. "Vincent let go of me now."

"Or what? Stellina?" I taunt, our faces inches apart. "No comebacks? No seductive walk offs while you sway these fucking hips, making me take a cold fucking shower."

Her breath hitched as she started into my soul, she opened her mouth to say something but she seemed at a loss for words. I licked my lips, thinking of taking her right here.

"Who do I have to kill?"

"No one." She muttered, the words barely leaving her mouth.

"Bullshit Elena." My grip on her wrist tightens.

"Vincent please."

"I am a very patient man Elena, I can wait all night we are not leaving until you tell me what's wrong."

Anger creeped onto her face and in a flash I felt a hard sting on mine. She slapped me. Ouch. "You know what Vincent. I had a fucking life before I met you. I had a boyfriend who I fucking loved. So spare me."

She'd never lashed out like that before. Elena's not one to show her emotions very often. "Take me home please."

»»————- ★ ————-««

Outside Elena's door, i raised my hand to knock, the right of our recent encounter in the middle of nowhere when I stopped the car was hanging in my head. I knocked lightly and waited.

I heard a faint 'come in' so I opened the door and leaned against the doorframe seeing Elena reading a book. "About earlier.." I began, my voice steady. I avoided direct eye contact. "I shouldn't have said what I said. I shouldn't have pushed you."

She stayed silent but closed her book. "I sometimes let this life consume me. I forget that this was also forced on you as well. That you didn't choose this."

Elena's arms folded and she rested back on her headboard, she watched me in silence. The silent room seemed to tighten around us, a silent witness to our strained conversation. "I don't know why I did it." I admitted, frustration edging my tone. "It was thoughtless and you didn't deserve that."

Her expression remained guarded, an unreadable mask. She got off her bed and walked to me. "Your actions have consequences Vincent." She was standing right in front of me and I had a good look at her dark green silky pjs. "All I've done since I've got here is try to help you. Sure I can be a bitch and stubborn"

I let out a breathy chuckle, "true"
She stared at me, like I was an alien or something. I gulp.

"But I have done nothing but try and help you and the mafia, I didn't show up to those meetings to annoy you. I did it to help you because like it or not Vincent you do need a lot of help." She said.

I nodded, acknowledging the truth in her statement. "I understand Elena. And I.." I gulp trying to find the words. "Thank.. you" it felt like someone poured acid down my throat.

She sighed, the tension in the room lessening. "This life is complicated and I'll bet anything so will this marriage be. We both need to learn how to navigate it without causing unnecessary wounds."

I step closer, the distance between us diminishing. "I'll be more careful when it comes to my actions and words."

Elena's eyes meet mine, a silent understanding passing through us. "Actions speak louder than words Vincent. Remember that."

"