5

As the car rolled to a stop at the deserted dockyard, a shiver of apprehension coursed through me

As the car rolled to a stop at the deserted dockyard, a shiver of apprehension coursed through me. Stepping out onto the rugged terrain, Vincent led the way with an air of controlled authority.

I trailed behind, my heart pounding in sync with the uncertainty of our venture. We advanced towards the heart of the dock where the cargo awaited inspection.

The expressions on the faces of the men—Vito's guarded stance, Tony's perpetual alertness, Salvatore's cautious scrutiny—all mirrored the gravity of the moment.

Vincent's stoic demeanor flickered, a subtle but discernible gasp escaping him as his eyes scanned the neatly arranged crates. My pulse quickened, waiting for his response.

A rare glimmer of approval danced in his eyes, a shadow of a smile ghosting across his lips. Relief washed over me as the realization dawned that my audacious plan had borne fruit.

The men exchanged silent nods, a tacit acknowledgment of success, and I caught a brief glimpse of respect blossoming amidst Vincent's controlled demeanor.

"Open 'em up, Vito," Vincent ordered, his voice a tempered command that brooked no delay.

Vito, the enforcer with a rugged exterior that belied his precision, stepped forward, his fingers deftly prying open the first crate. The others gathered around, an aura of cautious anticipation enveloping us.

The lid creaked as it gave way, revealing the carefully stacked packages within, filled with white powder. Vito's stern expression softened almost imperceptibly as he inspected the contents. "It's all here," he announced, a hint of surprise edging his voice.

The tension in the air dissipated into a collective sigh of relief. "Well done, Elena," Tony chimed in, his nod acknowledging my unorthodox solution.

"Impressive," Salvatore added, a faint smile tugging at the corner of his lips.

Vincent's gaze lingered on the cargo, a newfound edge of disdain etched in his features. "Elena," he began, turning to meet my eyes, "you've shown resourcefulness. We're having another meeting on Wednesday."

A surge of pride mingled with relief flooded through me at the unexpected acknowledgment. "I was looking for an invitation or something," I replied, my voice steady and confident.

"Well that was it. Take it or leave it" he said, his tone bland and rough.

I nodded, My eyes scanning the white filled bags. "Fine." My tone dried. "Because you can't do anything without me."

Vincent scoffed. "I can. In fact I was doing fine. Whatever our fathers might think I don't need a woman."

I laughed, turning around, my fingers clasping the snake chain wrapped around my neck. "Oh, Tesoro. Your ego is almost as fragile as your operation" Vincent glared at me. "See you on Wednesday." I said to the other men.