In Trees

October 5th, 2021—11:20 p.m. In Trees

I remembered once upon a time, I was curious about my father's test for his job promotion (Or was it initiation?). He said there was this one question that asks you to draw a tree. Any tree that came to your mind, but you have to remember that it has to have meaning on why you draw that specific tree. Because it was a test before an interview, they would ask you the reason why behind that drawing. My father was so proud of his drawing and the reason behind it. He said he drew a coconut tree. Because it has so may benefit for people. The leaves could be made into brooms, the fruit could be consumed and has many health benefits, the covering on the fruit has been made to use for so many household things, the bark was strong and you can make anything from it, the root is so strong it held the tree up high even withstand the strongest wind.

It's not that I don't agree, he described it so beautifully and I can't object. But when I said what about other trees that don't have any fruit or a very strong bark or root? Like the one, I used to see on the side of the road? It is strung up so beautifully, it shades the ground, and the way the leaves perk up high to the sky, almost like greeting it and when in the season I could see splotches of red that always mesmerise me. He said that it has to have fruits, otherwise you can't enjoy its benefits.

I didn't know why back then that answer didn't sit well with me. Now I realise as we drove by the same road and passed the same tree, the reason I don't like that answer until now. He spoke as if other trees that don't have fruits won't be useful to anyone. But I digress. Even if those trees couldn't produce excess food to store doesn't mean it's useless. You could see the beauty, and it gives you shade on a hot day, it still produces the oxygen that you need, those little things that you don't see, that kept you alive whether you realise it or not. Just because they don't give you tangible sustenance, doesn't mean it's useless.

There was a grove of coconut trees near my house. Those trees usually gave people near it coconut and other stuff made from it. But now, where it once stood replaced by buildings. I don't blame them that they cut down those trees as I could see them using the carcass well to sustain their lives. But because people see how useful the bark or the leaves are, they could always cut it and maybe plant a new grove somewhere else. Compare to the tree that I see on the side of the road, it was still there after all these years and imagine many years to come.

Another thing that bugged me, is when he said that it has to produce fruit. The first thing that came to mind is how easy people would exploit your ability to their benefit. That coconut tree produces coconut for their livelihood as it contains seeds, to store food for when it was needed. But people could also pick it and made them work to produce more of it. The way I see it, if you want to be that coconut tree, you need to be ready to be exploited, mutilated and even be replaced when you already have no use for them.

I couldn't see the grove near my house anymore. But that tree on the other side of the road would still be there. Waiting for a passer-by to enjoy its shade and beauty.