Chapter 5

Foxflame paced the prison den. It had only been a couple days since they'd been captured, but it felt like a lifetime already and he was beginning to worry if he was still sane. Lilacsnow watched as he strode from one end to the other, his paws on an endless loop.

    "You'll wear yourself out before we can even think of an escape plan," she said.

    Foxflame took a moment's pause considering his sister's words, then he shook his head and went back to pacing. Lilacnsow let out a small sigh and turned her head to the door.

    "Viperfang is coming to see you today," a voice spoke from behind Foxflame. He turned around and saw a large dark brown tom that he knew to be Dogtooth, the leader of the rogues. He remembered fighting him in the battle last winter when he attacked Lilacsnow and Foxflame had jumped to save her. Although the thing that Foxflame found more confusing than his involvement with Viperfang was the fact that Dogtooth had a Clan cat's name. Especially when he despised Clan cats. All the other rogues had single word names, but not him. Foxflame mentally added that to his list of mysterious to figure out.

    And then suddenly the brown tabby she-cat with snake-like eyes appeared before them and Foxflame jumped back.

    Viperfang purred. "I was hoping to see you two again," she said with a smirk. "How are you?"

    "Not very happy to see you," Lilacsnow replied tersely. "Why are you keeping us here?"

    "Oooh, straight to the interrogation, classic Lilacsnow." Viperfang unsheathed her claws and held up a paw to observe them in the half light. "And don't worry, you'll find that out in time."

    "Are you somehow guiding Violetshadow?" Foxflame spoke up.

    Viperfang twitched her ear, seeming a little surprised. "Oh, certainly. How'd you figure that one out?"

    "I. . . just a theory."

    "I see. Well I train many cats, and then those cats train more cats." She smiled menacingly. "I hope you can see where this is going?"

    "You're planning on raising an army to attack the Clans," Lilacsnow said. "But why?"

    "The Clans are not as high and mighty as they may seem," Viperfang said. "I plan to destroy it all and rebuild it the way it should be."

    "It won't work, you'll never to defeat the Clans," Foxflame said boldly, hoping he was right. He didn't know the size or strength of Viperfang's army.

    "Never say never, little warrior," Viperfang said, and then she vanished.