Chapter 8

Violetshadow settled down to sleep. She hadn't been to the Dark Forest in days and was wondering if Viperfang had just decided to stop training her. Although she had to admit her sleep had been so much better and it was nice to wake up with more energy.

    When she opened her eyes, the Dark Forest was around her and Viperfang was standing in front of her with her usual creepy grin.

    "Wow, how ruthless are you?" she said. "What was it like? Killing your own mother? I wouldn't know—I only ever killed my father."

    Violetshadow controlled her facial expressions, although she was slightly intrigued by her mentor's declaration. "Why haven't you been visiting me?"

    Viperfang pouted a little. "Oh no, is kitten sad?" She flicked her tail. "I've been busy, you'll get to see why in a moment. Let me grab the others."

    Violetshadow wasn't sure who 'the others' were, but if she had to guess they were other Clan cats. And she was right, for now Tarantulaclaw and Dahliapetal, and a tortoiseshell cat that Violetshadow didn't recognize where standing in front of her

    "Ah, I thought I'd be seeing you here," Tarantulaclaw said to Violetshadow and she narrowed her eyes at him. That must've been what him and Arcticwind were talking about at the Gathering.

    Violetshadow turned back to Viperfang. "What are we doing today?"

    "As impatient as ever," Viperfang said. "You'll be training with some rogues. And these three will be observing."

    "You mean I don't actually get to train today?" Tarantulaclaw complained.

    "If you'd like to have another mock battle with Dogtooth, I'm sure he'll be more than happy to have you," Viperfang said with a smile.

    "Oh—Nevermind I'll just watch," Tarantulaclaw said, his paws kneading the ground nervously.

    "That's a good little warrior," Viperfang said. "Now, follow me." She led them over to the usual fighting clearing, although it was more bloodstained than she remembered and there was probably more tufts of fur scattered about then blades of grass. Two toms, one large, the other skinny, and a scraggly, thought not old, she-cat were waiting for them.

    "This is Jaguar, Cactus and Winona," Viperfang told her. To the other cats she said, "This is my star pupil, Violetshadow. And our spectators Tarantulaclaw, Dahliapetal and Vixen."

    Violetshadow caught Cactus dipping his head slightly in greeting, but no one else repeated this gesture.

    "I trust you can take these three by yourself?" Viperfang asked Violetshadow, her eyes blinking, feigning worry.

    "Oh, I won't get too cocky," Violetshdow said, but she wasn't intimidated by three older, and possibly stronger, rogues.

    "Let's just begin already," Jaguar growled.

    He'll be the most trouble, Violetshadow thought, readying her stance, her eyes flicking between her opponents, making sure to keep them all in her line of sight.

    They stared at her menacingly for a few heartbeats before Jaguar pounced. She'd been expecting it and she dodged under him and took ahold of his tail as he flew over her head and crashed downward, sufficiently disoriented for the time being.

    Violetshadow quickly turned her head as Winona made a move toward her. Her tortoiseshell fur was a blur of motion in front of Violetshadow's eyes as she lashed out a paw, hoping to catch something. Winona yelped and stumbled backward, clutching at her now torn ear.