Chapter 25

Foxflame followed Violetshadow and her ragtag group of cats back toward the EchoClan camp, Lilacsnow bounding along beside him. He truly was mystified by the situation. He wasn't sure which aspect of it was more surprising. How empty the barn had been, being rescued, being rescued by Violetshadow of all cats, or the fact that only two out of the four cats that came to rescue them were EchoClan. Why was a BrookClan and FernClan warrior helping?

    He shook his head and continued sprinting toward the forest line, his paws barely touching the ground.

    When they reached the trees, Violetshadow slowed down a little.

    "We'll be heading back to our territories now," Dahliapetal said. "Good luck."

    Tarantulaclaw whispered something in Violetshadow's ear that Foxflame didn't catch before bounding off. Violetshadow's face took on a steely expression. She glanced behind herself to see if Foxflame and Lilacsnow where still there, and then she took off toward the camp, her apprentice on her heels. Foxflame and Lilacsnow exchanged a look before following her. Whatever happened next, they'd be in it together.

    The camp wasn't too far from the back edge of the territory, so they reached it just as midday sun started to blaze across the sky.

    Violetshadow stepped into the clearing, not looking as if she had just run across the territory, to the rogue's camp and back in one morning. The smaller cat beside her did, but he was holding up pretty well. Foxflame and Lilacsnow weren't as tired as they were confused, but they were almost immediately swept up in cheers of relief and jubilance.

    "Foxflame and Lilacsnow are back!" Scarletpetal's voice carried over the camp and even more cats bounded out of their dens to greet them.

    "What a pleasant surprise," Stonestar said, the crowd parting to let him see the returned Clanmates. He shook his head a little. "What in the world happened to you?"

    "We were captured and held hostage by the rogues," Lilacsnow said, and gasps met her words.

    "I knew it!" Scarletpetal snarled. "They are responsible for all our tragedies!"

    "But what happened to Claystream and Lilypetal?" Griffinwing asked. "Did the rogues kill them too?"

    Lilacsnow looked away as she said, "Claystream and Lilypetal were taken back by them. Dogtooth wanted his kits back." Foxflame didn't add that they had helped in that capture just to save their own pelts.

    "They are my kits," Scarletpetal snarled. "And Mousesqueak was my mate." She looked at Stonestar. "We have to attack and drive them out of our territory once and for all! They'll keep killing all our cats if we don't!"

    "I understand, Scarletpetal, but we're in no shape to launch an attack right now." Stonestar turned his attention back to Foxflame and Lilacsnow. "How did you two escape?"

    Foxflame glanced at Violethshadow, who spoke up. "I rescued them, with some help from Servalpaw."

    "Just you two?"

    Foxflame saw Lilacsnow narrow her eyes at Violetshadow as Stonestar asked the question.

    "Yes."

    Why is she lying?

    Stonestar stared at her, impressed. "And where is Servalpaw?"

    Just as he said that, there was a rustle behind them and everyone turned their heads to see Servalpaw bounding into camp, his eyes wide and frightened. "Darkmoon's dead!"