Chapter 26

"When I see you again, I hope to greet you as deputy."

    Those were the words ringing in Violetshadow's ears as she bounded back to camp, Servalpaw, Foxflame and Lilacsnow hard on her tail. She hoped that Tarantulaclaw had been right by saying them. She knew that if this plan played out perfectly, then she would be the deputy before moonhigh.

    When they reached the camp, cats were barreling out of their dens to greet their returning Clanmates. Violethshadow was only half paying attention to their chatter. Her ears twitched as she heard Servalpaw sidling up to the deputy and exchanging a few words with him, and then the two cats slipped out of the camp. Violetshadow flicked her tail in satisfaction. This was all going smoothly so far.

    "How did you two escape?"

    Violethshadow realized that Foxflame was looking at her and she said, "I rescued them, with some help from Servalpaw."

    "Just you two?" Stonestar asked, looking a little surprised.

    Violetshadow inclined her head slightly. "Yes." Come on, Servalpaw.

    Stonestar stared at her, impressed. "And where is Servalpaw?"

    Just as he said that, there was a rustle behind them and everyone turned their heads to see Servalpaw bounding into camp, his eyes wide and frightened. "Darkmoon's dead!"

    Cries of terror and grief went up around Violetshadow, and she was barley able to hear herself think.

    "NO!" Starfur shrieked.

    "Whoa!" Violetshadow rushed over to her apprentice, joined by Griffinwing and Cloudstorm.

    "What happened, Servalpaw?" Stonestar asked calmly, although Violetshadow could see his eyes flickering with panic.

    "R-rogues!" Servalpaw managed to get out. "I saw him sneaking o-out of camp. . . so I followed him, and then he was attacked by rogues!" He shivered, and Violetshadow wondered if he was actually acting. If he is, he's putting on a very good show.

    Scarletpetal turned to Stonestar. "We have to bring the other Clans together and attack them now!"

    "Yes!" several cats shouted in agreement.

    Stonestar hung his head. "We mustn't be rash." He looked at Servalpaw. "Can you lead me to his body?"

    "Stonestar!" Cloudstorm protested. "He's barely a 'paw!"

    "I can, it's okay," Servalpaw said, his voice low.

    With Stonestar behind him, Servalpaw led him, Starfur and of camp. Violetshadow figured she should follow as well.

    They followed a well trodden path around the side of camp and behind it. A little farther along, they began to see the edge of the tree line and the edge of EchoClan territory.

    There, among the roots of a tree, was the dark furred body of Darkmoon.

    Starfur let out a cry and bounded over to him. She laid her head on his side, her flanks heaving and her sobs echoing around the immediate vicinity. Violetshadow flattened her ears against the sound and put on her most 'this was definitely a tragic accident and I am not going to benefit at all from this' face.

    "Oh, Darkmoon," Stonestar said, his paws dragging on the earth as he approached Starfur hovering over her dead mate.

    Violetshadow stood a little behind them with Servalpaw glued to her side, his head leaning against her flank. She curled her tail around him and watched as Starfur and Stonestar mourned together.

    Finally, Stonestar looked up. "We have to bring his body back to camp and give him a proper vigil. And I must choose a new deputy."

    Starfur nodded, her face sullen. "Of course Stonestar." And together, they lifted his body and began the slow walk back to camp.