Chapter 11

Violetshadow's ears pricked up as someone called her name. It was Darkmoon, organizing the patrol for the Gathering that night. She rose from her nest in the warriors' den to join the other cats in the clearing. Darkmoon found her gaze and narrowed his eyes slightly before turning away and calling for more cats.

    I didn't realize he disliked me so much, Violetshadow thought. I suppose I did kill his daughter though, she thought, thinking of Sapphirepaw. Although it didn't matter much to her since he would be dead soon anyway. Her gaze flickered to the nursery briefly at that last thought. Soon.

    Violetshadow waited patiently as everyone gathered and got ready to go. Her ears twitched as she heard the voice of Amberpaw talking to his mentor.

    "I don't feel like going tonight, I think I might have stuffed myself a little too much," he said.

    "Well, if you're sure," Mousesqueak said. "But make sure you see Starfur or Dandelionheart before we leave, okay?"

    "I will!" Amberpaw said, and Violetshadow heard a scrabbling of paws on the ground as Amberpaw padded away.

    Violetshadow had told enough lies in her life to be able to pick one out, especially from Amberpaw. He was up to something, she just wasn't sure what. And she knew it would be suspicious if she wanted to suddenly stay behind as well. And plus, she was always interested in going to the Gatherings, learning more about the other Clans, even if some of them were unbearably annoying.

    I'll figure it out, and maybe I can learn more when I get back, she compromised.

    When everyone was ready, Stonestar led his cats out of camp, intending to head toward the Gathering Hollow. But before they left, Violetshadow realized that Amberpaw never went to talk to one of the medicine cats. That only confirmed her suspicions further.

    The EchoClan cats made their way over to the Gathering Hollow and were actually the first ones there. BrookClan arrived shortly after. Violetshadow tried to avoid them as much as possible, but Tarantulaclaw was still able to find her, much to her annoyance.

    "Nice to see you in real life for once," Tarantulaclaw said, sidling up beside her. They sat at the back of the crowd of cats where they were hidden from most cats' views.

    I wish I could say the same about you, Violetshadow thought, only gracing him with a small nod before gazing intently at the leaders on the Fallenoak.

    "Stonestar? Would you like to begin?" Barkstar asked.

    Stonestar dipped his head toward the FernClan leader then stepped forward, and, raising his voice, began his report. "EchoClan is recovering and Griffinwing is soon to give birth."

    The other leaders didn't have anything of much significance. BrookClan is as a strong as ever in the words of Willowstar and FernClan has three new apprentices. Quailpaw, mentored by Dahliapetal, Cherrypaw, mentored by Mintfur, and Pollenpaw, mentored by Dawnlight.

    They had a little bit of time before they had to go and Tarantulaclaw insisted that Violetshadow come talk to his sister. To Arcticwind.

    "No," Violetshadow said stubbornly.

    "Yes," Tarantulaclaw said, nudging her shoulder. She almost killed him right the and there for that small bit of contact.

    "I have to go," Violetshadow told him, and she disappeared into the crowd of EchoClan cats.

***

When they got back to camp Violetshadow hadn't forgotten about Amberpaw. He came to greet them as they came back and Mousesqueak asked how he felt.

    "Oh—! Much better," he said, smiling a little too widely.

    As Violetshadow walked past the two of them, her eyes roved over the apprentice, taking in as much information with the couple seconds she had to observe him.

    His fur looked ruffled up against the cold, his ears twitchy, his eyes wide, and most mysteriously, dirt clods under his claws and a few bits in his fur. Not super noticeable to anyone who wasn't looking for it, but Violetshadow noticed, and she knew he was up to something.