Epilogue

Violetshadow tried not to seem too satisfied with the current events, but her mind was running circles and her heart was beating out of her chest. This had to be more exhilarating than her first fight with Viperfang.

    When they arrived back at camp, all the cats in the clearing turned to with somber faces and mumbling of grief.

    Stonestar and Starfur laid the Darkmoon's body near the medicine den so Starfur and Dandelionheart could prepare it for the vigil. Then Stonestar leapt up onto the Echostone and called for everyone's attention. The whole Clan was already gathered and just turned their heads.

    "A brave warrior has fallen today," Stonestar began. "And we will honor him with a proper vigil, but first, I must name the new deputy of EchoClan."

    Violetshadow held her breath.

    "I say these words before StarClan, so that the spirits of our warrior ancestors may hear and approve of my choice." Stonestar paused, as if thinking over his decision one last time. "The new deputy of EchoClan is Violetshadow."

    All heads turned in her direction and Violetshadow held her head high and looked directly at Stonestar.

    "I hope to serve my Clan well with this new position," she said, her voice unwavering.

    This was it.

    She had won.

***

Aster shivered a little as a cooling breeze ruffled his fur. He sat on the stone steps that ran through his housefolk's garden, looking into the little pond in the corner at his own reflection. His face wasn't that of content cat, quite the opposite really. His whiskers drooped and his ears refused to perk up. And no wonder really, his former mate had officially broken things off with him and was then killed by rogues, and from what he'd been told, his kits had met a similar fate. His whole family. His whole world.

    He sighed and retraced his steps back to the flap in the housefolk's door that led inside. The air was considerably warmer in here and Aster welcomed it. He couldn't imagine how the Clan cats survived in leafbare if he could barely manage a couple minutes of leaffall.

    "Any news?" a pale brown she-cat sat in cushion nest beside Aster's that his housefolk had set up for her when she moved in about almost six moons ago.

    Aster shook his head and she sighed, her tail twitching restlessly.

    "I know you must want to go back there," Aster said. "But it's not safe. And you're only just starting to get better from a wound like that." Aster remembered a little uncomfortably the state she's been in when she first got here. He didn't think he'd ever seen so much blood. He'd thought she would be dead by morning the first night, but she had survived by some miracle.

    The she-cat touched a paw to her neck and shivered. "I know, I just miss everyone, and I feel terrible staying here and doing nothing." Her claws worked worriedly at her nest.

    "You'll be good to go back soon," Aster told her. "I promise."