Chapter 23

Violetshadow led her new apprentice out of camp. Servalpaw was quiet and calculating and the new mentor and apprentice duo hadn't exchanged many words thus far.

    When they were a couple paces out of camp, Servalpaw spoke up. "I asked you to be my mentor, you know."

    Violetshadow twitched her ears, a little surprised. "And why's that?"

    "I think there's more to you then you're letting on," Servalpaw said. "You're not like the other grown cats. You're. . . ." he paused, watching her. "Mysterious."

    Violetshadow grinned a little. "You learn fast, don't you?" she said. "It's true. But don't worry, you'll learn my secrets soon enough."

***

That evening, Violetshadow nestled deep among her mossy nest and closed her eyes. Moments later, she opened them again to find herself in the Dark Forest, Viperfang standing before, her eyes alight with interest.

    "Well, well," Viperfang said with a smirk. "The student has become a teacher."

    Violetshadow twitched an ear. "Will you be bringing Servalpaw here?"

    "Servalpaw. . ." Viperfang murmured, as if tasting something new and interesting. "Yes, let's see. . . ."

    And a moment later, the pale brown tom was now beside Violetshadow. His eyes widened momentarily, taking in the surroundings, before settling on Viperfang.

    "Who are you? And where are we?" Servalpaw asked her, glancing at Violetshadow, who remained quiet with her tail wrapped neatly around her paws.

    "My dear," Viperfang said, walking a circle once around the pair. "Welcome to your new home. And as for me. . . ." Her smile widened. "My name is Viperfang, and I taught your mentor all she knows."

    Violetshadow's eyes narrowed slightly. Maybe not everything, she thought, and then wondered why she was suddenly so mutinous. Viperfang had taught her almost everything she knew. But still.

    "Is that why you're the best warrior in EchoClan?" Servalpaw asked, but not with the awe that Violetshadow would expect.

    "Do you think so?" Violetshadow asked. And Servalpaw inclined his head slightly. "Will you be teaching me here?"

    Violetshadow nodded. "You will get more training here. The Dark Forest provides. . . special opportunities for young cats to be their best. To become better than everyone else."

    Servalpaw flicked his black tipped tail. "Well, I suppose there's lots to learn."

    Violetshadow smiled. "There certainly is."

***

"Now, it's time to execute the next step of my plan," Viperfang said, her voice booming across the clearing.

    Viperfang had gathered all the Clan cat spies and rogues together for an announcement. Violetshadow sat near the bottom of a sloping hill that Viperfang was at the peak of. Servalpaw sat in front of her and Tarantulaclaw and Dahliapetal sat on either side of her. Violetshadow was a little surprised that Dahliapetal was still coming here after what had happened to her apprentice, but she imagined Viperfang had threatened her with the same fate.

    "Now that Violetshadow has been able to acquire an apprentice, she is now eligible to become deputy. If anything were to happen to the current one of course." Viperfang smirked.

    "So, we have to kill him?" Jaguar asked.

    "Yes, but we have one small thing we must accomplish before that. I have outlined this down to the moment and I expect you to follow perfectly." And she began the explanation.

    Once she had finished, she said, "I expect all of you to be in your places in two dawns time." Viperfang ginned at them all. "Good luck and goodnight."