Chapter 19

Violetshadow would be fighting rogues today. Or, night, technically.

    Viperfang called it training, but it was really just fight until you were better than your opponent.

    Violetshadow closed her eyes and took a deep breath before opening them again. The Dark Forest looked the same as usual.

    "Ah, good you're here." Viperfang was beside her, and without waiting to see if Violetshadow would follow, led her over to the usual training clearing. Violethshadow honestly thought they should think about moving somewhere else because this place was more blood and fur then grass and dirt.

    She never mentioned this Viperfang, it would be seen as a weakness. Violetshadow just preferred a less distrusting place to practice.

    More cats than usual were gathered today. Violetshadow wondered if she would have to fight them all, and surprisingly, the idea didn't intimidate her, even if she knew she would lose against that large of a number. The amount of things that didn't intimidate her were growing everyday, and she wasn't sure if that was confidence in her abilities or just an eerie undaunted look at death. Either way, it worked in her favor.

    "Winona," Viperfang called a tortoiseshell she-cat forward to stand in the ring with Violetshadow. They had sparred before. Winona had gotten better from the first time they'd fought, but she was still lacking in quite a few areas.

    The two cats circled each other, paw step for paw step, for several beats before Violetshadow sprang forward. Winona dodged, but only just. Violetshadow was on the attack again and pinned Winona's tail between her claws, although Winona tugged herself away forcefully, tearing away clumps of ragged fur.

    Winona pounced this time. She didn't accomplish much by doing this. Violethshadow ducked away and grappled her to the ground, holding her firmly in place. The she-cat wriggled underneath her, but Violetshadow had won.

    "Let's have. . . Vixen, shall we?" Viperfang said, her eyes glowing.

    Winona glared as Violetshadow let her up. She went to stand beside her mate, Jaguar, and was replaced by another tortoiseshell she-cat named Vixen.

    Vixen reminded Violetshadow a lot of herself. She was a quick learner and pretty ruthless. Although she had more of a sense of humor and fun, whereas Violetshadow was straight faced and emotionless, at least, that was how she knew she appeared to others.

    Violetshadow readied her stance and watched Vixen as she waggled her hindquarters and tail. Violetshadow knew she was just messing around a little, but she didn't like how she had to make everything a show.

    Violetshadow pounced, and Vixen dodged. The she-cat was quick, but Violetshadow would get her in the end.

    Vixen made another move to get her, but only managed to scrape her flank. Violethshadow ducked and rolled out of the way, slipping her up by her back leg. Vixen stumbled but stayed upright. She flung herself out of Violetshadow's way and lashed her tail. Violetshadow attacked again before she could fully recover and pinned her down.

    Violetshadow looked to Viperfang to see if she would call the fight off, but before her mentor could speak, Violetshadow felt a sting on her cheek and suddenly Vixen was facing her again.

    The little—

    She pounced and Vixen dodged. Violetshadow told her brain to calm down. The fight wasn't over yet, but she could still win. She pounced one way and then side-stepped to catch Vixen as she dodged the other way. The tortoiseshell, caught off guard stumbled back in surprise and lost her footing, crashing to the ground. Violetshadow put a paw on her chest and this time, didn't take her eyes off her opponent before Viperfang spoke.

    "I'll get you next time," Vixen said, throwing her a laid-back smile. Violetshadow managed not to growl at her as she let her back up.

    "That's all for tonight," Viperfang said. "Feel free to train more when you wake up. Maybe you could show your mother a thing or two about fighting, Vixen. You certainly did better than her."

    Jaguar let out a throaty growl from beside Winona.

    If Viperfang noticed, she didn't show it."Violetshadow, if you'll come with me, I'd like to have a word with you."

    Violetshadow nodded and walked over to her mentor, following her away from the crowd of cats.

    When they were out of earshot of everyone else, Viperfang asked, "So, how are Griffinwing's kits?"

    "Growing fast," Violetshadow said. "But they're still only three moons old."

    "You'll have to convince Stonestar to apprentice them early," Viperfang said. "We need you to become deputy as fast as possible."

    "I realize that, but—"

    "But what? Stonestar is fragile at the moment, what with his daughter and another cat dead and those two cats missing." Her mouth quirked up a little as if she found it amusing. "His Clan is in ruins. You're his best warrior, surely he'll see that training them a moon or two early is wise?"

    "I suppose. . . ." Violetshadow said. It's not as if she disagreed with the idea, but she wondered if his trust in her would falter because of it.

    There was a sudden rustle in the grass behind them and Viperfang turned around so fast Violetshadow barely processed what was happening until she spotted Forestpaw beneath her mentor's claws.

    "I see we have a little spy," Viperfang said, smirking.

    Violetshadow took a paw step closer. She hadn't seen Forestpaw in awhile, and she looked dramatically worse, her fur rumpled and dull and her ribs showing from beneath her pelt.

    "Abusing my lax security, are we?" Viperfang said. "Well, we'll just have to find somewhere better to keep you."

    And then Forestpaw was gone, teleported by some magical ability that Viperfang wielded.

    Viperfang turned back to her and smiled. "Where were we?"