Chapter 6, old friends.

Calum looks at her with questions. " Old friends? You didn't mention about anything of old friends. " He says as she looks at him. " I never wanted to talk about it, " she moved her attention away from her. " But why though?' he asked she shrugged her shoulders. " Cause I didn't want to talk about it, besides I highly doubt that they're missing me or even still cared about me. ' she mumbles as Calum looks at her with worry,
but there was also hurt and sadness in his eyes when he heard her say this. Calum had gotten close to her during their time being on the run together, but now they were just a few people left that knew them and loved them. She had changed so much over their years, even if she wouldn't admit it out loud.
" What happened?" he asks quietly and she lets out a laugh that was laced with pain, " nothing, we did something stupid that got us into trouble." Calum felt like she was trying hard to not make eye contact with him, and that only made him more curious. " Nothing bad, right?" she shook her head and looked down at her hands, " nothing bad," but that seemed like a complete lie.
She took a deep breath and started again, " I guess you could say my childhood memories are kind of hazy. I don't remember what happened until I was about 8, but I do remember everything else happening. And for some reason, they seem to have a special bond. It seems that when someone does something good in my life, I'm reminded by them. So it always felt like I had an older sibling who was taking care of me, or something like that. They had always been around to watch after me when I wasn' able to be alone. They would take care of me no matter what," her voice wavered, " I guess what happened was the day they stopped caring for me."
Calum looked at her shocked at this information. " That's ridiculous. There's no way your family would-" " No, Calum its true! I haven't talked or even try my best to even call them. I left them in the dirt. "  Calum could see how upset she was and he wanted so badly to know who this person she was speaking to was.

He knew that she was trying her hardest to hide her feelings but it was clear that they weren't working for her. If it wasn't obvious already, he knows that they were the cause of whatever had made her sad. He reaches out to her, " Hey, look at me. Tell me exactly what happened, " he said softly, but firmly, " Okay, fine. " She huffed before going back to talking, " It was a week before I was sent off to live with my grandparents. My parents had been trying to fix things up between the two families since they were first introduced, so they had invited our parents over to meet everyone. We ended up having dinner with both families, but the adults couldn't stop asking my mother questions about herself. Like her hobbies, her favorite movies and books. One particular question came out of nowhere, one that was really personal. " He saw tears falling down her face as she continued, " My father had been acting strangely lately, so they were curious about him. They asked him about him, " He could hear the pain in her voice and wished that he could help her feel better.  " He went on and on about how he was a great person and a wonderful father, " but it was almost like he was avoiding answering some sort of question. After he finished with his story, my father looked up at me, " Are you ready to go home? " His words cut through my heart like a knife. Home. He meant to send me away, to make sure I never returned. I had no idea how he did it but I knew that I couldn't stay there any longer.
I nodded my head quickly while wiping the tears off my cheek before grabbing onto my bag and standing up. " Come on then, let's go. " He said and turned around to walk towards the door, leaving me in shock. He was sending me away... Again. I grabbed his sleeve before turning to face him. " I'm sorry, " I whispered. His face softened immediately at hearing the apology. " No need to apologize, kid. Just leave those old feelings behind and come on. We're going home. " I nodded my head once more and walked outside with him.

As soon as we walked out of the house it hit me how quiet it was inside. Everything was dark and quiet. My grandfather's house was always filled with laughter and chatter, making me miss the noise every single second. Now it was just emptiness. The sound of my own footsteps echoed throughout the empty hallway. I shivered as I wrapped my arms tighter around myself. Suddenly I could hear something moving downstairs, " Shit!" I screamed in surprise. Before I had the chance to think of running upstairs, a large figure ran across the living room, knocking a vase of flowers off the table and into the floor. He jumped onto the sofa and covered his face with his hand. I took in the intruder's appearance. He looked around the same age as myself, maybe a bit younger. He was dressed in some sort of blue uniform with a black bow tie. He stood still for a moment before looking up at me. He gave me a small smile, causing his scars to show, " You must be the new neighbor that I've been hearing so much about, your grandmother have already told me about what happened to your grandfather, " he says as I stare at him.