The Bryants

Skye Bryant

Skye Bryant

Another Wednesday in the counselor's office, another pointless session to get my life together. Is it illegal for the school to be this involved with my personal life? I mean, really, child services, school counselor sessions, and unexpected visits home from the state. Whatever you can think of, I got that shit going on. It all started about six months ago, it was no secret about who I am, and who my father was. My father had everything on lockdown, from Harlem, the Bronx, and to Brooklyn.

Every corner covered by his merchandise and it was more to overcome. Any clique that tried to come in between had probably afterwards wished they hadn't. If your loved ones didn't return home that night, everybody knew who was responsible for their death wish. King of New York, they called him, but dead is how he now resides. It finally happened, somebody managed to squeezed through the cracks and take my father away from me. Despite everybody's opinion, my father was everything to me, gave me all I ever asked for and more. I would squeeze the trigger at any given moment for him. Now that's he's gone, everything has gone to hell.

"Skye, how are you feeling today?" Ms. LaRose, the school counselor asked.

"Everyday you ask that, everyday it's the same answer. When can I stop coming to these sessions? I been seeing these four walls since school started, why y'all won't just leave me alone?"

Ms. LaRose took off her glasses, placing her notepad on the desk. "I'm only doing my job, sweetie, I can't do my job if you don't participate. Now, we've had some good conversations once before, why can't we do that now?"

"I'm really tired of seeing you every damn Wednesday, no offense, but I have enough shit going on. My day doesn't stop here, for once in my life, I'm tired of talking! I'm doing just fine; I want things back to normal."

"What's normal, Skye?"

"You not riding my ass is normal, everybody not in my damn business. Shit, I mean, y'all might as well write an article about me in the school paper. Let everybody else and they momma read all about me."

"Little girl, what did I tell you about your mouth?"

Ms. LaRose don't play no games, unmarried, and no kids. I'm sure some dick would have her bouncing off the walls with a better attitude, get that goose loose and calm her stern ass down. Not like she ugly or anything, we share the same honey brown complexion. Ms. LaRose got a little thickness to her, standing at my same height of 5'6. I'm sure she would be a catch for any man, but for whatever reason, her uptight ass is single.

When this first started, I wasn't telling her anything, but she got to me and put all that psychology shit to the side and was completely real with me. But today is a hard day, I really just don't feel like being bothered.

"Can I go please?"

"How's your mother?" She pressed on.

"Probably sucking a nigga dick for an iPhone 6, I don't know. I'm not by her side all the time."