Can I, Baby?

Skye
     Morning of my mother's case, everything was set in motion, Morgana was at the foster agency, awaiting the phone call to have her start paperwork. I'm honestly shocked that she kept her word. The adoption process will be long, and could take months to get them out, if my mother isn't cleared of her charges.

     "You think this is going to work?" Legend asked, as we sat in the court parking lot. I held the yellow envelope in my hand, hoping this is all we need for a dismissal.

     "We'll just have to wait and see."

     "No matter what happens, it's going to be alright." He said, then turned back to the window. Before her pretrial, I had her appointed lawyer let me talk to her.

     "It's so good to see you, baby, please tell me you have something?"

     "A little something." I showed her the evidence.

     "Damn, Skye!" She busted out in anger. "This shit supposed to help me?"

     "It might, this blackmail is all I could get, and you can thank – me, for digging it up. I went through my own personal hell to get this."

     "Skye, this better work, don't dig me in a deeper damn hole."

     The appointed lawyer took a look at the pictures and recognized exactly who some of the people were. "No, we're not using those. I'm a respected lawyer and --"

     "Shut yo' ass up!" My mother and I both interrupted him.

     "You don't wanna use them, fine, don't worry, I'll give them to the judge." I stated.

     "Your crooked ass probably on their side anyway, handle this baby, make me proud. I love you so much, Skye, your father is rooting for you too. Use his tactics, you got this!"

     "Wait, whether you think this is wrong or not, do know how much corruption you could put an end to out there? You'll be a household name, instead of a damn city appointed lawyer. Some of the big names might start calling upon you. Now if I interrupt the court to try and hand him these photos, the evidence could be stricken from the court. You know this shit better than I do. See what I'm getting at, can you get the job done or not?"

     "Big names, huh?" His ass thought about the possibility.

     "It's New York, plenty of people in need of a good lawyer."

     "Give me the pictures."

     Legend and I took out seats in the courtroom, while things began to get underway, my heart was pounding like crazy. The prosecutor began grilling the fuck out of my mother, saying all kind of accusations, based off my father. This became all about him and his influence on her. Since my brothers and I were there for the arrest, we were allowed to tell our accounts for the arrest. We all told the truth being under oath, and said exactly what happened that day. The proceeding was long, it was looking like the judge's decision could go either way. I guess when my mother's lawyer started to feel himself losing, he pulled out the evidence.

     "Council, what is the meaning of this?"

     "Your honor, my client was just moving away from the dark shadow her late husband left on his family. After many pop of visits from child services, nothing was ever found out of the ordinary. My clients kids have even expressed that their mother is a loving woman who cares about them, no mother striving for a better life for her kids, would put them through having drugs stashed in the house, knowing the danger that implements. How can we treat Miss Bryant like a criminal, when she doesn't know the first thing about drugs? But I bet the arresting officer, Ronny, does."