nine: axes

The next day I woke up to the sound of Enobaria's voice and her soft hands nudging at my shoulder. "Wake up Tia, first day of training today." She announced.

I groaned and sat up on the bed while I rubbed my eyes. Since Enobaria and Brutus were always the mentors for the previous tributes, they refused to have a mentor of their own for this year. That means I got to sleep in the mentors bed last night and it was the best sleep I think i've had all year.

E left the room so I slowly got out of bed and walked towards the conjoined bathroom. I took a quick shower and came back to the room to see an outfit placed neatly on the bed that was probably made by one of the avoxes.

I put the outfit on and walked out of my bedroom to meet with E and Brute who was sitting down eating breakfast with their district 2 escort, Diamond.

"Finally, now come eat." Brute offered as he patted the seat next to him.

"Thank you, but I have to return to Mags before she starts panicking." I explained as I walked towards the door. All three of them just nodded, unable to form any words with their mouths filled with food.

When I arrived back on the fourth floor, Finnick, Mags and Pam were also eating breakfast. I had told them all where I was last night and Mags just smiled knowing I was safe, meanwhile Finnick didn't say anything, he just looked down at his plate and continued eating.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

I was now late for training, Finnick had left as soon as he finished eating but I stayed after with Mags, wanting her to braid my hair.

Mags loved braiding and trying new looks with my hair, and I loved watching her do it. Although my hair would most definitely get messy during training, I let Mags do her thing. It was a simple one that she had already done previously, with two dutch braids into two pigtails. Then she twirled each pigtail into a bun and secured it.

It was beautiful as always.

Once she finished, I hurried out of the room, giving her one last hug then quickly jogging to the elevator. I waited impatiently for the elevator but when the door opened, I groaned at who was already inside.

Both the tributes eyed me cautiously as I walked in and pressed a button. Katniss and Peeta stood to the right side while I was leaning on the wall to the left.

Peeta turned his head to look at me and I just smirked and gave him a wink.

He was not expecting that as he cleared his throat and faced the front again. Katniss just looked at him confused then at me.

Once we finally arrived, Katniss and Peeta were walking in-front of me and when we reached the new training centre. They paused and stopped walking to inspect the area, blocking me from entering in the process.

"Ahem." I faked cough. They both turned their heads to look at me, completely forgetting I was behind them. They made way for me to walk through but being me, I just scoffed and bumped my shoulder purposely on Katniss'.

I didn't turn around once to look at their faces, instead I walked towards Brutus who was over at the spear station.

I watched him throw multiple spears, hitting their target each time.

"Give me that." I demanded motioning for Brutus to hand the spear that was in his hand. He turned around confused but handed the weapon to me anyways.

Two fake orange people were running towards me so I turned my back on them and closed my eyes, listening to their footsteps. When I could hear them being about 10 feet away, I turned and threw the spear, killing both of them at once.

Brutus had a proud smile on his face as I bowed and walked away from him, letting him continue training.

I walked around inspecting the other tributes, Cashmere and Gloss were training together at the knives station while Enobaria was practising fighting one of the trainers.

I continued on walking until I finally found the person I had been looking for for the past day, over at the individual training.

I watched as Johanna practised with her axe, amazed by how she was able to fight with such a heavy weapon.

She waved the axe left to right repeatedly then slashed it on the ground and looked up, smirking at Katniss who was also staring at her a few feet away from me.

That was when she noticed me out of the corner of her eye. As soon as she saw me, her eyes lit up and she immediately dropped her axe and ran towards me.
"KATIA!" She yelled.

She embraced me into a tight hug as we almost fell to the ground from how fast she got to me. The feeling of being in her arms was so comforting, I never wanted to let go.

I could feel the other tribute's eyes on us, especially the ones from district 12 but I was enjoying Johanna's comfort enough to not care.

After what seemed like forever, we let go of each other and smiled. "You have no idea how much I have missed you Kat." Johanna admitted.

"Awe I missed you so much too Jo. When I left district 7 it felt so weird, after seeing your face 24/7 for a whole year, it was so strange to not wake up to you next to me."

"There's so much to catch up on, but we can chat during lunch. Right now I want to see if you remember all the lessons I gave you on using an axe." Johanna said excitedly as she grabbed my arm and led me to the individual training area where she had dropped her axe a few minutes ago.

I sighed, not really in the mood to embarrass myself in front of all these tributes. "No Jo, you know how bad I am with an axe, that's your thing. I would just be making a fool of myself." I explained.

"You're boring." That was all Johanna said as she rolled her eyes and she picked up the axe and proceeded with what she was previously doing.

"And you are annoying." I bite back."

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~••~•~•~•

1074 words!

A/N: We love Johanna <33

Please don't forget to keep voting, i love you all 🫶