twenty-three: betrayal

KATIA'S POV

Everyone began running around trying to look for trees or leaves big enough to shelter them from the rain.

I however, only had one thing in my mind, and that was the mission i came here for.

I could easily kill all three of them, but then Johanna will be alone considering she doesn't want to join me and the careers, and I can't have that.

They all found a tree that was big enough to protect them which gave them time to catch their breaths.

I hadn't even noticed I was burning on most of my body, I was too focused on my plan.

"Katia you need to take cover!" Johanna shouted. I didn't reply with anything as I kept my eyes set on Beetee. I held eye contact with his confused expression for a few seconds, wanting him to realise he was gonna die.

"You should run." I said, loud enough for all of them to hear. Their eyes widened in fear as Wiress was the first to run for her life.

I stayed where I was, out in the open with burns covering my entire body as I let the blood rain continue to pour on me. I ignored the burning pain it gave me, wanting the tributes and everyone watching to know I was strong and wasn't scared of anything the Capitol could throw at me.

I decided to let Wiress run, she would be an easy one to catch and kill. I raised my trident towards Beetee who was surprisingly not running away, he did his best to act fearless but I saw right through him.

No big deal, made my shot a lot easier.

"Katia don't kill them! This tree is the only thing protecting us from that rain we can't move! Please!" Johanna begged desperately. As much as I loved her, she couldn't change my mind.

I knew they wouldn't run like Wiress had, the tree was there only protection and they thought I was bluffing.

Before more words could be spoken, I threw my trident towards them, aiming right onto Beetee's heart.

But unfortunately, Blight saw this coming and immediately pushed Beetee out of the way with a cried out "No!". I watched as my trident went straight through his chest as he fell to the ground.

BOOM!

I was in disbelief. Blight from District 7, had sacrificed his life to save a District 3 tribute of all people.

Johanna cried out as she ran towards her district partner along with Beetee.

Blight's actions had me distracted for a moment before I was brought back to reality. I didn't mean to kill Blight, but it was too late so instead I grabbed another knife from my stash and aimed it at Beetee.

"No!" Johanna shouted as I was close to releasing the knife from my hands. Suddenly, a spear was thrown towards me.

It didn't go anywhere near my head or heart, but it had sliced through my right leg. The pain of the spear and the still pouring blood rain was too much to handle as I cried out in pain and fell to the ground, clutching my leg.

I had lost all focusness on my mission to kill Beetee as all the pain seemed to be hitting me all at once.

"Run! Let's go we need to run!" I heard Johanna shout to Beetee as they both got up and started running through the rain.

I couldn't even focus on going after them as I used all the energy I had left in my body to carry myself over to the tree that was able to protect me from the rain.

My body ached in so much pain and once I was shielded from the rain, it seemed to hit me how much the blood rain had actually hurt and affected me.

I couldn't take the spear out of my leg either, considering I had nothing to stop the bleeding. I was drenched in blood, which I wouldn't mind if it didn't burn so much.

I had no choice but to sit under this tree and wait for the rain to pass.

I felt pathetic. I had let two easy kills get away and ended up with an injured leg. That's when it seemed to hit me, Johanna threw that spear.

I had been clear to the careers to take her out of the picture, claiming she wasn't a threat and could never hurt us, but I saw her from the corner of my eyes before I was about to kill Beetee, she grabbed the spear in Blight's hands and threw it at me.

I felt so betrayed. Johanna was the last person I would ever think to throw that spear. Now I didn't know what to think anymore. When the careers find out who did this to me, she would be the next one dead.

I sighed and leaned my head against the tree. I doubt anyone would be out looking for me, especially with this rain but I still had a knife in each hand, ready to attack at any given moment.

~•~•~•~•~•

The rain had finally stopped.

I was still in immense pain in my entire body, plus the spear was still inside my leg. It was the only thing stopping blood to gush out.

I looked around for a moment to see Blight's body laying a few feet away from me. Deep inside I felt bad for killing Blight, but it was stupid of him to sacrifice himself for Beetee. It still confused me on why he would do such a thing when suddenly my heart stopped.

"No... no no no NO!" I screamed as I stood up, not even caring how much that hurt to do as I realised something was missing from Blight's body.

My trident.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•