fourteen: backstage bonding

It was probably midnight by now.

I had been staring out into the Capitol for what seemed like hours, the view from the rooftop was something I could never get used to. If I could, I would most definitely live up here for the rest of my life.

But we all know that could never happen.

So I wanted to enjoy the peace and quiet for a little while longer before i'm sent back into my worst nightmare.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

"Quelly can you fix this bit over here? It doesn't look right." I asked, pointing to my left where a bit of the fabric was crumpled.

Quelly was getting me ready for the last event until we go into the arena, the interviews. This was the last opportunity to impress the Capitol and potential sponsors, so Quelly and I were making sure everything was perfect.

My hair was styled into a sleek high ponytail with a two small braids on top and natural makeup with blue eye makeup to compliment the dress.

(here's the dress but u can change it if u would like)

After a few more minutes, we were all ready so I put on the silver heels Quelly handed to me before she guided me to the backstage area where all the other districts were

I had insisted on being early, not wanting to miss my friend's interviews which were up first so fortunately, as soon as we arrived, Cashmere and Gloss were just about to walk on stage.

I walked past all the other tributes to stand with Brutus and Enobaria as we watched our allies step on stage on the wide screen in front of us.

Ceasar Flickerman, the host every year, greeted both Cashmere and Gloss with a wide smile as they hugged and sat down. Since District 1 was the first district, Ceasar had insisted on interviewing both tributes at the same time instead of individually.

"You two made the games a family affair, you became everyone's brother and sister." Ceaser spoke.

"I don't know how we're going to let you go." Ceaser pouts before bringing the mic over to Gloss.

"We're not going by choice." Gloss replied as sighs and awes are heard from the audience.

"You are our family," Gloss continued, speaking directly to the audience. "And I don't see how anyone can love us better."

"Wow they are good." I whispered to Enobaria next to me who nodded in agreement.

"So sweet. So sweet." Ceasar replied. His attention was then brought to Cashmere who had tears coming out of her eyes. "Are you alright dear?" He asked.

"I'm sorry." Cashmere apologised briefly through her tears.

"Are those real or fake tears? I can't tell." Brutus asked in a whisper. I looked up at him to see a smirk plastered on his face as he looked down on me. Sure I was tall, but no one could possibly be taller than Brutus.

"Definitely fake." I replied with a quiet laugh. Cashmere may be able to trick the Capitol, but us districts are able to see right through her act.

"She's good though, their using their emotions as an advantage to try and stop the games. That's smart of them." Enobaria perked up, joining our conversation.

"That's true, plus if it was any other district, I don't think the Capitol would care one bit."

"Yeah we can't-" Before Brutus could speak, Ceasar Flickerman's voice interrupts him and brings back all our attention on the screen.

"And now, from District 2 and the victor of the 62nd hunger games, let us welcome the beautiful but ferocious Enobaria Golding!" Ceasar announced.

"Shit E go!" I blurted out before ushering Enobaria towards the stairs that reached the stage.

"Geez Katia can't you see my legs are already moving!?" She whisper-yelled towards me as she continued to walk up the stairs. I laughed in response as she rolled her eyes and turned her attention back to the the front where everyone was cheering her on.

Enobaria was on stage for a few minutes before the time was up and was asked to join district 1 up the podium by Ceasar as he called on Brutus.

As expected both Brutus and Enobaria impressed the audience with their responses, still managing to intimidate and scare a few of them along the way.

Wiress from District 3 was currently on stage with Ceasar when I felt a presence stand beside me.

I turned my head to the side to see it was in fact Finnick.

His eyes didn't leave the screen in front of us so I decided to start a conversation. "So, are you gonna do the tactic most people seem to be doing?" I asked.

"If by that you mean do whatever I can to try and cancel the games," Finnick started as his eyes met mine for a second before it left and returned back on the screen as he continued speaking. "then yes, and you should too."

I scoffed in response, my eyes diverting on to Beetee who was now walking on stage as Wiress walked and stood next to Brutus up on the podium.

"No way Finn, even if I tried, everything that comes out of my mouth will just end up exciting the audience. You know I hate appearing weak or vulnerable to anyone especially them." I replied honestly.

Finnick nodded his head, so discrete that you could barely even notice the motion. "So, what're you even gonna say to try and convince these brainwashed goons." I asked quietly, not wanting anyone nearby to hear.

For the first time since we had arrived to the Capitol, Finnick laughed. That immediately brings a smile to my face that made me drop my head to the floor, hoping he didn't notice. It was comforting in a way to see my brother laugh again, even if it was over something that wasn't even remotely funny.

"Well you're just gonna have to wait and see." He said as I looked up at him, the smile on my face still visible.

We stood in silence for a few moments, just staring at the screen in front of us when Finnick spoke up again. "Hey Kat, so I just wanted to apo-"

"And now for my personal favourite, from District 4, give it up for our precious darling, Katia Odair! The victor from the 68th Hunger Games!" Ceasar announced.

"Shit." I mumbled as I quickly walked up the stairs. Before I could walk on stage, Finnick called out my name from behind.

"You got this." He said with a smile and a nod. I returned the smile before finally walking and making myself visible for the crowd.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

1117 words!

A/N: #1 on #thehungergames thank you so much!! Thank you to everyone who's been voting, it really means a lot.
I'm sorry i'm so bad at the updates but i'm trying to update 2-3 times a week so bear with me.
Thank you guys once again 🫶