twenty: the fallen tributes

The district 1 siblings fell asleep a bit after Brutus had, leaving only Katia and Enobaria left awake.

They sat in a comfortable silence, never taking their eyes off from the dark water.

Suddenly, Katia flinched slightly at the sound of the Panem Anthem.

Both Katia and Enobaria directed their eyes to the sky where the fallen tributes were being shown.

The loud music playing had awoken the other three careers as they all payed attention on who had died already.

To make it interesting, they decided to play a little game, announcing who had killed who whenever a tribute would show up.

"Me" Brutus announced when the male tribute from district 5 was the first to appear.

No one said anything as the male tribute of district 6 appeared, meaning someone other than the careers had gotten a kill.

"Ooo that one's me" Cashmere announced excited as the face of the tribute she had killed earlier with her bow popped up.

Katia smiled to herself before announcing "me" when the male district 8 tribute showed up, her recognising him instantly as the person she first killed.

Four more tributes showed up, both from 9, the girl being killed by Katia and the boy being killed by someone that wasn't one of the careers. The girl from 10 also thanks to Katia, and the girl from 11, who Enobaria proudly claimed as her kill.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

Time had passed after the fallen tributes had been displayed and the three other careers had gone back to sleep. Katia however had no intention of going to sleep anytime soon, and by the looks of Enobaria, neither did she.

Still watching the dark waters in front of her, she let her mind drift off to a memory from her games 7 years ago.

FLASHBACK

I don't know how I managed to climb a tree with my aching leg from earlier, but I did.

I sat down and grabbed the bag I had taken to look inside, grateful to find a rope that I could use to tie myself to the tree with.

Blood was continuously gushing out of my leg as I continued to search the bag. I felt myself become weaker and weaker by the minute as I rushed to find something else inside the bag to help my situation. Inside was the rope I had just used, a water bottle, a singular bread roll, and a small roll of bandages.

I immediately grabbed the bandages and started to wrap my leg with it, thankful that no more blood was coming out but it still hurt like hell.

I stayed in that tree for the rest of the day, drinking water and eating the bread while listening to two canons going off.

I had received two sponsors that day, one from Finnick that contained some cream that was meant to help with my leg which I applied a good amount of, before wrapping it back up and to my surprise, a few hours later it was already much better than before.

The other sponsor was from Mags, who gave me some apples and bread to eat. It wasn't great food but it was still food so I was very much thankful.

It was dark now, and only one cannon had gone off. My leg was feeling so much better from the cream I was gifted by Finnick, but I decided to remain in the tree until my leg was completely healed.

I was about to fall asleep when I heard music playing from the sky, I look up and see it's showing the fallen tributes.

So many of them.

The girls from 1 and 2, boy from 3,  both from 5, 6, and 7, boy from 8, both from 9, girl from 10, and both from 11 and 12.

Once I saw their faces it had hit me, I was the cause of more than half of those deaths.

I was a murderer. A cold blooded killer.

But instead of feeling guilty and terrified about the fact, I embraced it.

There was people watching my every move through the cameras, so this was no place to show weakness and that i cared about any of them.

It felt good to know that everyone had underestimated me and I had proved myself to the districts and the Capitol.

The Capitol wanted a 14 year old killer?

They got it.

I cleared my thoughts and started to come up with some sort of plan.  The only tributes left were the career boys, my district partner Halo, girl from 3 and 8, and the boy from 10.

I figured I would leave it for tomorrow and get some rest now. Hoping the numbers would go down by tomorrow morning.

END OF FLASHBACK

~•~•~•~•~~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~~•