twenty-nine: the trident

THIRD PERSON VIEW

"So 12-1 lightning, then 1-2 is blood. Then fog, and then monkeys." Peeta stated as he draw little pictures c  on the sand.

"What about everything else? Did you guys see anything?" Katniss asked.

"Nothing but blood."

As they discussed the arena, little did they know Katia Odair was swimming her way onto the cornucopia.

For a district 4 tribute like her, she was able to swim through the water quiet enough for no one to notice.

"As long as we steer clear of whichever sector-" While everyone was distracted on listening to Peeta, Katia used this opportunity to sneak up on them.

Katniss and Johanna had their backs turned to her and before they knew it, Katia ran up and swiftly grab Johanna and placed her knife around her neck.

She let out a strangled gasp, as the others turned in shock, Katniss immediately readying her bow.

"No. One. Move." Katia said, pausing after each word. Katniss didn't listen and kept her bow and arrow aimed at the girl.

Katia tilted her head at this, curious to see if Katniss had the guts to try and kill her. "Hello girl on fire."

"Katia thank god you're alive!" Finnick exclaimed as his face lit up at the sight of her. Katia smiled genuinely for a split second before it was replaced with a fake one.

"Hello brother." She greeted, turning her attention back on Katniss who looked like she was going to release the arrow any second.

"Give me a good reason why I shouldn't kill you right now." Katniss asked the girl who still had her knife wrapped around Johanna's neck firmly.

Katia laughed as the others looked at her confused, including Katniss. "Because i'm Katia Odair, hunny. Your weak self couldn't kill me no matter how hard you tried."

This seemed to set the girl off as she was about to release the arrow, when she felt something being pressed into her neck. She turned her head slightly in confusion, to see the end of Finnick's trident.

"Finnick what are you doing.." Peeta asked cautiously as him and the two district 3 tributes watched everything play out.

"Katniss I'm sorry but you need to stand down. I'm not letting you shoot my sister." He told her in a demanding manner.

Katia simply smirked as she watched Katniss weigh out her options before ultimately lowering her bow slowly. This let Finnick lower his trident too as Peeta huffed out in relief.

"Why are you here Kat? Where's the other careers?" Finnick asked his sister.

"You see, i'm not here to kill you all. I mean- I will if I have to, but i'm here, because Johanna Mason over here," Katia pushed the knife closer to a point where blood started coming down Johanna's neck. She screamed out in pain but Katia paid no mind to it. "She took something that belongs to me. Now i'll give you two options, one; hand my trident back and I leave, no one will get hurt and it'll be like I was never here."

"And if we don't?" Katniss spoke.

Katia looked at her, surprised she would even ask that. "Then option two; I kill all of you and I get my trident back, maybe put on a show for the Capitol and give you entertaining deaths. Either way I'll be satisfied." She explained.

Katia's precious trident was in Finnick's possession, until Peeta borrowed it to draw on the sand. All eyes were on him and the weapon in his right hand as he froze, not knowing what to do.

"What are you waiting for? Just give it to her." Finnick told his ally. Peeta looked conflicted as he looked back and forth between Katia and Johanna who was slightly shaking her head.

Katia's patience was growing slimmer and slimmer as she huffed and brought the knife away from her throat to stab through Johanna's right leg, exactly where she had threw the spear at Katia hours ago, before taking it out and putting it right back against her neck. Johanna screamed in agony as she couldn't do anything to aid her leg with Katia still holding on to her.

Everyone watched in shock, finally coming to their senses that she wasn't bluffing.

"HURTS LIKE A BITCH DOESN'T IT JO?" Katia yelled in her face. Johanna looked to be in the verge of tears as blood continued to trickle down her aching leg.

"Ok this is enough." Finnick announced before grabbing the trident from Peeta while he was distracted and chucked it over to his sister. Katia stepped away from Johanna, letting her drop down to the ground clutching her leg, as she grabbed the trident. Her face seemed to lit up as the weapon was finally in her grasp.

Everyone stayed still and watched her every move, unsure on what she would do next. Finnick walked up to an injured Johanna as he helped stop the blood from coming out.

"Thank you." She said before starting to walk away and around the cornucopia.

But as soon as she turned around, Katniss immediately lifted her bow and shot an arrow in her direction.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•