Chapter 2

*The Pictures do not belong to me* 

Elio POV

The smell of freshly baked pizza fills the air, I must be honest I love working here, sure the pay could be better and the customers could be nicer but man I do love the smell of freshly baked goods. Our boss is this really nice old Italian man who treats us like his own grandchildren, which is really great because we don't have a grandfather, and before I forget his name is Tommaso Ricci. But everyone either calls him Grandpa Ricci or Mr Ricci. Everyone who works here is amazing, they are all so nice and treat us like family, they also are really understanding towards the type of situation we are in involving our mum, so they try and support us in the best way they can. Franky who is the head chef taught me and Astrid all sorts of traditional Italian foods to make, he is also like a father figure to me and Astrid. When we first came here both me and ash(Astrid's nickname) were really scared, well mostly ashy. They also ended up teaching us Italian which is super useful. 

Moving on to the present day, I am currently waitering a very annoying couple that can't seem to make a decision. "How about I come back and give you guys more time to decide on what you want", "no no I want a medium rare steak and she would like a bowl of salad, and bring me a bottle of your finest red wine", "sure", finally they made a decision. I glance over the counter to see Astrid talking with Jane the new waitress. 

  It's finally 8.00pm, two more hours and then we get to go home. Freedom, yess. Today has been a very tiring day. "Hey Elio can you can Astrid come here for a second" Franky calls out. I wonder what happened,"I need you to stay calm right now and listen, ok. Your mother was rushed into the hospital and is currently in surgery", my heart stop for a second, "wh-at?", I look over to Astrid who is stood frozen and clearly trying to hold back her tears. "Elio listen, you and Astrid will be taken to the hospital right now". We rush over to Hannahs(she is mr Ricci's secretary) car.

We have finally arrived, me and ash rush out the car and run towards the lobby, demanding to learn what has happen to our mother. "Please be a bit more patient your mother is still in surgery", some snobby looking nurse said, I couldn't have been more pissed. I curled my hand into a fist my knuckles slowly turning white, I'm ready to punch someone, but then Astrid grabbed my hand and pulled me into a tight hug."Everything is going to be alright", she whispered, Astrid is the responsible and calm/shy sibling but at times she can be quite the hot headed one, she always knows what to say and she loves to help people. She even puts others before herself, I am so lucky to have her in my life because if I didn't I don't know what I would have done without her until know. 

The doctor walked out from the emergency surgery door, and walked our way. Astrid squeezed my hand and Hannah placed her hands on our shoulders. "Hello I am Doctor Williams, and I am sorry to inform you that your mother was unable to make it, I'm truly sorry for your loss", I froze once again, my eyes were filled with tears, I grabbed ash and hugged her tight as we both balled our eyes out all that night. 

Third Person POV

After Elio and Astrid learnt of their mothers passing, Franky invited them to stay at his house. Both where heart broken upon hearing the news of their mother, and later on that week a funeral was held. Two weeks after the funeral, the twins had an unexpected visit from social services asking them if they had any family, this lead them to do countless of DNA tests. However no family ties where found, but after a month an unexpected surprise had occurred.

1 month later, Elio POV

"Astrid you're burning the cookies again", I get up from the couch and rush over to the kitchen where I see a sleeping Astrid on the counter. Oh god not again, how can she just fall asleep and not realise that there is food burning in the oven. I pull out 12 burnt cookies from the oven. yawn"Oh there ready?", Astrid asks, "no dummy you fell asleep again", I pat her had.

Ding Dong 

"That's wired, Franky are we expecting anybody?", "no not that I know of". "oh god don't tell me it's your crazy ex again", I say, and then Franky hits me on the head,"ay what was that for", "She's not crazy, but unstable and it's not her fault anyway", sure whatever you say Franky. 

"Oh hello ms Smith, what can I do for you today", Franky ask, not again honestly social services can't give us a break. Looks like Franky is going to talk to her in his office, somethings not right. "What's going on lio?", "Dunno?" I give a slight shrug, "nothing to worry about my dear baby sister" I say in a babyish voice, "I'm not a baby, we're the same age remember" I look down at her hands and I see that their once again covered in paint, Astrid loves to paint and anything related with art, she is in fact incredibly talented. I on the other hand prefer sports and music.

"Hey kids I have some great knew's for you, guess what?", Franky asks. Before we could answer ms Smith interrupts us "We have found your biological father!"  

"WHAT!"