A Vulture among Heroes

Y/n's POV:

Ah, I can't believe I'm spending my last day in a hospital just like every other day. Being confined to a small white room with nothing but the heart monitor beeping in the background. With only a window to the left of me overlooking the city below as if I were a bird in the sky. Most days I just sit here in this bed as I continue to lose grasp of reality, rarely being greeted by doctors or nurses who only come for tests and return to their monotonous routine.

"I hate it here.", I mutter to myself as I stare blankly out the window. I exhale as I feel myself losing strength to even keep my eyes open, I wish I was free like a bird, was my last thought as I close my eyes.

————————————

*Whoosh*

Huh?, what was that?

I open my eyes to find myself no longer sitting in that awful bed but falling or flying in the sky. I try to move my arms but instead hear a flap of wings I look to my left then right to see large black and red wings on both sides. I see a tree up ahead and try to land on it. I'm almost successful until I hear the branch snap under my new weight as I plummet to the ground with a thud.

Ok, well that hurt.

Suddenly, I hear what only could be described as gunfire to the east of me. I get up off the ground and flap my new wings as I'm lifted upwards and into the sky. With the sun overhead I now notice how large I am compared to the other animals in my vicinity, as I glide over the creatures below me they cower and hide. Just what sort of bird am I?

Arriving at the sound of the gunfire, I see a trio of costumed people fighting what I think are terrorists of some kind. There are two men: one dressed in blue and red with a red cape and the other dressed in all black that looks like some sort of bat. The woman is dressed in some type of leotard designed to look like the American flag with golden bracelets along with a sword and a lasso at her hip. As the woman is fighting one of the terrorists tries to shoot her from behind.

I quickly react by picking up the attacker by his shoulders using my talons as I shoot off into the sky, he tries to shoot at me but I clench a little harder causing him to drop his gun as he now begins to scream for help.

"S-save me!! This crazy bird is gonna drop me.", the male shouted as the costumed trio looked in our direction. Ironic that the man is asking for help despite trying to attack someone from behind.

The man in the red cape flies up to me quickly reaching us, this startled me as I dropped the man who continued to scream all the way down. The woman was the one to react as she too also flew up and caught the man by his arm before setting him down on the ground. Curious as to who these people were I glided down towards the woman who had kindly held her arm out for me to land on.

"Bruce, do you know what this bird is?", the woman asked the man dressed like a bat.

"Hmm, it seems to be a Bearded Vulture but this one is much larger than usual.", Bruce had explained to the two.