chapter four

vanessa

Gabriel's estate is three times larger than mine and it's absolutely beautiful. The first thing I take notice of is how green the grass is as we enter the premises. The giant perimeter of the gates is next, stretching for miles around the property of the fabulous white and stone-brick manor. We drive around and park in front of a giant garden that is sitting in the center of the circular driveway.

From the corner of my eyes, I can see Gabriel putting his stupid mask back on just as two men walk towards the car and open my door for me. They don't say anything, extending their hand to help me out of the vehicle. Once Gabriel and I are out of our seats, the second-in-command replaces the guard beside me while Gabriel is whispering to three people.

"Your room is next to Gabriel's," Vincenzo mumbles as we walk inside. "At no time are you allowed to go in his room without his permission."

"Not like I'd want to be around him," I mutter under my breath. I catch the hint of a smirk on Vincenzo's lips and he takes me up two large sets of stairs that overlook the main foyer. "Do I get at least get my own office?"

Vincenzo nods his head. "It's connected to your bedroom." He glances at me once I'm finally caught up with him, walking side by side. "So, you and the boss have known each other for a while, yes?"

I shrug. "I never met him until today. I wish I never did, either. He's an asshole."

He chuckles quietly. He doesn't disagree, though.

He probably agrees with me

Vincenzo is actually somewhat nice. He manages to at least try to have a conversation without having the attitude of an egotistical playboy. Unlike some people...

Vincenzo stops at a set of dark cherrywood doors and hands me a piece of paper before punching a pin into the key.

"The only people who know this pin is you, Gabriel, and myself," he says and is so quiet I almost don't hear him. "At no point is someone supposed to know or ask for the pin unless you give them consent. If someone breaks that rule, come to me immediately."

I nod just as the key unlocks and we take a step inside. The bed is large enough to fit ten people, sitting in the center of the room decorated in mauve pink and dark blue bedding and it sits right in front of a giant window. To the left of the bed is a tiny reading nook with a love seat and to the right is a wall decorated with paintings, three doors standing equally apart within it.

"The office is the far right door," Vincenzo explains and opens the middle door next. "This is the bathroom, and the door right beside you is the closet."

I take a look at a door that stands next to the reading nook. "And over there?"

"That door is locked from the other side so I've never been able to find out. I'm guessing it leads to Gabriel's room, though, so it wouldn't benefit you much." He puts a set of keys in my hand. "Those are to try manually if you change the password and forget it, or if the power goes out. Your things will be here in about six hours so I would suggest unpacking your things and getting ready."

My eyebrows furrow and I turn to face Vincenzo. "Get ready for what?" I question.

"There's an important dinner with your team, Gabriel's team, and your two families. This is mostly where everyone will be talking about what the ceremony is going to look like." I get comfortable on the giant bed right as Vincenzo makes his way to the doors. "I'm the first room you see on the second floor if you need anything."