chapter thirteen

gabriel

Something's wrong.

I know I didn't do anything this time because Vanessa's been trembling ever since the Bonette couple walked in. They aren't my favourite people but others look up to their wealth which is why they're here tonight. The power they have in North America is anything beyond I can imagine—that's when she started acting different. She refuses to speak to me. Actually, she refuses to say anything. All Vanessa's doing is playing with her fork, staring at the couple with this look.

"Excuse me for one moment," Olsen speaks up after much conversation around the table.

No one questions him as he rises and leaves the room—no one but Vanessa, who wait until he is out of sight before excusing herself. I watch her from the corner of my eye until she is out of sight. She's up to something. She always is.

Without a word, I stand up and follow my wife.

Even in her heels, Vanessa manages to move swiftly and quietly. With the carpeted floors it's hard to hear her footsteps but I make sure to keep our distance close so I don't lose her. Wherever she's going, Olsen is going, and I need to be cautious of what could happen to either her or myself if she makes a wrong move.

When Vanessa stops walking, I hide behind a wall before she can see me. I peek out and find her sneaking into a room so I make my move and follow closely. I slip through the door and notice her heels on the ground, along with the holster she was keeping her dagger in, and that's when it clicks in.

She's going to fucking kill him.

And there's only one problem when it comes to Olsen Bonette: he is never really alone.

It feels like years pass before I find Vanessa crouched beside a door, two knifes in each hand. I'm a couple dozen feet to her right but I manage to sneak up to her a few before she notices me... by throwing a fucking knife at me. She misses by not even an inch, ripping both the sleeve of my suit and shirt.

"Get the fuck out of here," she hisses.

Vanessa doesn't even sound like herself. It's as if she has completely blocked out anything emotional; I don't even know if she's thinking logically right now. The woman in front of me is going to kill the first person to walk out that door, Olsen or not.

I can see it in her actions—her body's complete stillness, the twitching in her hands, her void expression across her face. Vanessa isn't here anymore and I don't want to find out who is.

"Vanessa, baby," I mutter as gently as I can, creeping closer.

I probably sound like a fucking psychopath.

The second she tips the of her knife in my direction, I pause.

"Put the knife down, princesa."

"If you move, I'll kill you."

I raise an eyebrow and dare to step closer. "Then kill me."

Vanessa's eyes harden on me, making me smirk a little. I wasn't amused by any time spent in that room but I definitely am now. I can't help it.