chapter twelve

vanessa

We land on a small trip sitting atop a cliff, and two black SUVs wait for us close to the gate. Gabriel helps me down the last few steps of the plane, barely acknowledging the men who scramble to grab our luggage.

It never occurred to me the kind of business Gabriel had outside of America. He is a man who keeps his business to himself and the only time he was relevant to me up until our meeting was when he stole my shipments, so it isn't a complete shock that he has people working for him out of the country.

"I still stand by the rules I told you," Gabriel says once we're in the car.

I purse my lips as I try to recall what rules he is talking about. When it clicks in, I give him a pointed look. "Why?"

"My men don't hand their respect to anyone just because they have the title. They were trained to be ruthless and that's what they became." I raise an unconvinced eyebrow and Gabriel rolls his eyes. "If you don't believe me, you can find out for yourself. If you do decide to listen for once, stay close to me and ignore them."

I turn my attention out the window with a huff. "I listen."

Gabriel's fingers slip between mine, shocking me, and presses a kiss to the back of my hand. "Mi princesa, you never listen."

I roll my eyes and look away, trying to force my blush down. "Whatever."

His mouth curves into a smirk and he flips my arm, kissing my inner forearm.

"You are a treasure I don't want harmed," he continues as his fingers tighten around my arm. "Not many of my people were happy knowing they'd have to share their things with you."

"It sounds like they're a bunch of spoiled brats."

"Oh, yes. From the gun they carry to the man they kill."

Gabriel says all of this while peppering kisses up my arm, his lips soft despite the roughness of his growing stubble. I can't help but watch, entranced by his words and touch.

Eventually, I cave. "Fine. I'll listen. It seems like you know from experience, anyway." Gabriel hums, angling my head as his eager lips reach my neck. "You haven't stopped touching me."

"Tell me you don't want me to, then, and I'll stop."

I sneak him a glance and catch him staring, waiting for my answer. My cheeks warm.

My body answers him before my brain can as I move closer to his waiting arms, nudging him with my elbow when he smirks against my flesh. He kisses up my throat, mumbling incoherent words in Spanish with each urgent kiss until I'm panting for each breath.

"Gabriel?" I breathe, closing my eyes as his tongue caresses the side of my neck.

"Mmh."

"Why are we in Colombia?"

He hesitates before answering. "Work."

I raise an eyebrow and pull back when he tries to kiss me.

Does he not realize how suspicious he sounds?