chapter six

gabriel

Normally I have no problem falling asleep. With the estate being indestructible and having the best of the best patrolling my property, being worried about my safety is never a problem. I get my work done at 6 pm on the dot so that's never a thought on my mind at night and have late-night calls sent to my voice box unless it's from my emergency phone. I make sure I have everything done in a day so I can go straight to bed at 11 pm—why the fuck am I thinking so much then?

My mind keeps drifting back to Vanessa. I don't mean for it to and I certainly don't fucking want to think about her yet, every time I try to sleep, my thoughts drift to her and how good she looked tonight or how tempted I was to give in to every dirty thought I've had of her. But then my thoughts move to when I found Mateo on top of in the bathroom, how badly she shook in my arms, how hard she cried. Even when I went with Vanessa to get that stupid cheesecake, she seemed off... Quieter.

I roll on my back and drag my hands down my face. "Fuck it," I mutter, kicking the blankets off and walking to the door across my bedroom.

I don't particularly enjoy the fact that there's a door connecting my bedroom to Vanessa but at least I don't need to leave my room to check up on her... Except she isn't even in bed and her bedroom door is open a crack.

You've got to be fucking kidding me.

I rush out of the room and look at the bottom of each door for any signs of light. I make my way through the dark house until I'm on the first floor and am three feet from ripping the front door off its hinges when I see the kitchen lights on.

I swear to God, if she managed to sneak out of this house I'll fucking—

I look on the other side of the wall and my thoughts immediately shut up when I spot Vanessa sitting on the counter, kicking her legs back and forth as she eats. She looks like she's been crying.

"Am I going to have to deal with you stalking me every second of the day?" She mumbles, her attention still on her food.

I walk into the kitchen and lean against the counter beside her. "Yes," I answer honestly. "Why are you still awake?"

She barely casts me a glance, but quickly gives me a second look to give me a slow look down my body, raising her eyebrows in surprise. I glance down at my chest and pants, glancing back up at her and smirking slowly.

"See something you like, princesa?" I mumble, meeting her darkened eyes. Her eyes are narrowed with distaste but it doesn't hide how dilated her pupils still are. "Tell me why you're still up."

"I'm not trying to hear the same lecture you gave me earlier, so no."

I roll my eyes and take another step toward her. Vanessa tries to move away but my hands move faster, grabbing her waist to keep her from getting away. She flinches back from my grasp, staring at me with wide eyes.

I'm just as surprised as she is by my actions. It felt like a natural instinct.

"Let go of me, Díaz," she snaps, putting her cheesecake down.

"Relax," I mutter back with an eye roll, pushing her raven hair off her shoulder. My eyes narrow in on the bruised markings around her neck and I refrain from touching it so I don't hurt her.